Windows XP guest crashes when running portable_ubuntu .

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Numbski
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Windows XP guest crashes when running portable_ubuntu .

Post by Numbski »

I know this is going to sound terribly backwards, but I'm on Ubuntu Jaunty. I have virtualbox-3.0 installed, and a Windows XP guest. I've set up my USB thumb drive to be accessed from Windows XP, which works.

On my thumb drive, I have portable_ubuntu installed:

http://portableubuntu.demonccc.com.ar/

When I go to launch portable_ubuntu by double-clicking the run_portable_ubuntu.bat icon, it crashes the VM. Below is the screen capture and the log.

Screenshot
Screenshot
VBox.png (69.2 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
Log File
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows XP guest crashes when running portable_ubuntu .

Post by Perryg »

VM inside of a VM is not supported. Since this is about a portable version that is really not supported.
Numbski

Post by Numbski »

It's not a VM inside of a VM. I guess I need to explain. If you click the link above, it will take you to the site.

(BTW, sorry for the delay - went on vacation and just got back!)

Their description:
Portable Ubuntu Remix is an Ubuntu system running as a Windows application.

This system is built with the Colinux Kernel, Xming X server and Pulseaudio server for Windows.

Portable Ubuntu Remix is a useful tool for when you need to use Ubuntu on an machine that has Windows as operating system.
So you see, it's ubuntu running as a Windows application. It's not virtualization at all. Here's what the CoLinux page says:
Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software.
Emphasis mine. There's no low-level hardware access happening. What you're saying is very similar to saying cygwin isn't supported. I think. Or is there a part of this that I'm missing...?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

We are (or at least I am) missing one thing: why do you want to do this? You already have Linux as Host, so why do you want to run it in a Windows VM?
The bold part of your quote can be interpreted in several ways. One of them is how you see it, the other way is that it doesn't need a virtualization application, because it provides it's own. And in that case, there is little chance it will work.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Numbski

Post by Numbski »

Yeah, I know it's silly. The reason I need it is because my workstation at the office is Ubuntu. Our users (for the most part) have Windows XP. I occasionally need access to things like X11 from those workstations, so I carry portable_ubuntu around on my thumb drive. I was wanting to be able to run a simple `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade` from my workstation for the portable_ubuntu installation, which would mean running it via virtualbox in my Windows XP vm.

If it's not going to work, it's not going to work. I just wanted to make clear that I'm not virtualizing Ubuntu inside of virtualized Windows.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Numbski wrote:I just wanted to make clear that I'm not virtualizing Ubuntu inside of virtualized Windows.
Did you read my explanation above? You might not know that it's actually being virtualized. For all you know, it could be Qemu that's running it. Open the .bat file in notepad and check it's contents. What does it say? You will learn a few things from opening such files.

Needing X11 things can be done from the Host too. I really don't understand why you need a Linux OS, running from Windows, for a few things, that can be done using the Host.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Markus_AC

Post by Markus_AC »

Hi,

this is an older thread, but my problems seems to be similar.
I try to run Virtual Box on a Win XP Pro Host. the guest host is Win Xp Pro, too. On that guest I try to run a coLinux.
When I try to start this, my VM crashes.

Is it still in the current version of VirtualBox (V 4.1.16) not supported to run coLinux inside it?

PS: I found ticket #5354, which seems to state out the same problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, it is still the case that you cannot run one virtualizer inside another, and, as far as I can tell, CoLinux is a virtualiser. Run Linux as another VM on your host. Do not try to run Linux as a VM inside another VM. In fact I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would try.
Markus_AC

Post by Markus_AC »

Thanks for replay.

My reason for this setup:

I want to run a software-package which runs under Windows but uses coLinux for cross-compilation. As I already have a previous version of this package installed on my real Windows host and you can't run two version of this package in parallel, I try to run the newer version of this software package (includung a coLinux) on a VirtualBox.

Hope I explained it quite comprehensibly.
Markus_AC

Post by Markus_AC »

Give me a quick update: is it still not possible to run another VM inside a virtual box?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Markus_AC wrote:Give me a quick update: is it still not possible to run another VM inside a virtual box?
nested virtualization is still not supported.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Markus_AC wrote:Give me a quick update: is it still not possible to run another VM inside a virtual box?
That would depend on your hardware and even then you can only run 32-bit OSes as a guest. Even though you can make it work given the restrictions, it is not supported.