Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
irv
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP SP1

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Post by irv »

Yes, I installed the new guest additions. I did this from the top menu devices in the guest.
Thanks for the tip on the snapshot, I never thought of that.
My network part seem to be working OK I can get out on the Internet, but maybe my speed might be giving me a problem because I tried to update some software and it keep failing. I even had there tech support on the phone and they could not figure out what was going on. A least they are sending me new CD's for the software.
I have a wedding and have to get ready, so I will try the network thing later and let you know how things work out.
Thanks for all your help.
irv

Post by irv »

I completely wiped everything. Removed VirtualBox 3.0 Deleted all the .virtualbox directory and the shared directory, and even the vboxusers group. From scratch I re-installed VirtualBox 3. Installed WinXP SP3 did all the updates, and set the Network to Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) installed the drivers in Windows, setup the share folder and even installed the guest additions. And I can't believe it, I still don't have USB and now I don't even have share any more.
I going to bed and giving it a rest. Maybe tomorrow with a clear head I can figure out what is going on.
irv

Post by irv »

I don't have a lot of time this morning, but I played around with it for awhile and When I am in Virtualbox guest WinXP and I plugin a usb drive, it will appear in the list of USB attached under Devices, but it will not allow me to use it because it is greyed out. I am starting to believe it is a rights issue or something. I can't find a drive letter anywhere in windows so I don't know how to access it from within Virtualbox.
irv

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue sloved

Post by irv »

I finely got my USB to work. Here is what I had to do:
System>Administration>User and Groups
Went to Manage Groups select the vboxusers group check properties and wrote down the Group ID number. My number was 127.
I then went to a terminal and typed

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
and made a change to the following line.
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0
Changing the devgid=85 to devgid=127.
Saved the file and shutdown all the running apps and restarted the system. After booting up I went to Virtualbox open up WinXP and everything was not grayed out. I click on the USB drive I wanted and it loaded the driver and it worked great. :D
I hope all this effort will help someone else out.
Thanks for all the input for all out here and on the Ubuntu forum. :wink:
happ
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue sloved

Post by happ »

irv wrote:I finely got my USB to work. Here is what I had to do:
System>Administration>User and Groups
Went to Manage Groups select the vboxusers group check properties and wrote down the Group ID number. My number was 127.
I then went to a terminal and typed

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
and made a change to the following line.
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0
Changing the devgid=85 to devgid=127.
Saved the file and shutdown all the running apps and restarted the system. After booting up I went to Virtualbox open up WinXP and everything was not grayed out. I click on the USB drive I wanted and it loaded the driver and it worked great. :D
I hope all this effort will help someone else out.
Thanks for all the input for all out here and on the Ubuntu forum. :wink:
This doesn't work to me. But this does:

Make sure you are part of the vboxusers group:

sudo usermod -G vboxusers -a `whoami`

Then, logout and back in.

After that, in virtualbox, click on settings for the virtual machine, and go to usb. Make sure enable usb controller is enabled. Then click on OK, and see if it works.

Make sure that you enable guest additions.

Credit to orginal tutorial:

http://www.tuxguides.com/2009/05/07/vir ... b-support/
irv

Post by irv »

I guess I found out the dumbest thing. In Ubuntu users and groups when your name appears in a group and has no check mark you are part of the group, but if you put a check mark on it, it take you out of the group. I was thinking the opposite. I thought when you put a check mark by your name you were part of that group. When I took the check mark off then it worked. I changed my fstab back to the way it was and now everything works.
osfight.de
Guest OSses: Win XP, Android, Dreamlinux

Post by osfight.de »

Hi,

I would like to join the discussion while tryting to connect my USB stick with my hosted OS Dreamlinux 3.5. I am using VB 3.0 PUEL on Ubuntu 9.04, added the line

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

to the /etc/fsatb, applied a usb filter for the pendrive

and added the user to thevboxusers group. On Ubuntu I do not have a user usb or similar.

VB finds the USB drive but I cannot activate it in the list for USB drives as shown here:

Any idea why that? (By the way it never worked before, so I do not claim that this is a 3.0 only related issue)

I appreciate all help,

thanks a lot!
 Edit: 
I just figured out that some people propose to install guest additions, which I actually tried to avoid. If I wanna test a live distro it is annoying to install anything. I tested it on windows xp with guest additions installed, and the the stick shows the same greyed out behavior. 
osfight.de
Guest OSses: Win XP, Android, Dreamlinux

[Solved] Re: Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Post by osfight.de »

Nevermind:

Only add the current user to vboxusers AND users group, no need for guest additions and filters.

http://www.tuxguides.com/2009/05/07/vir ... b-support/