Compiling on AMD64 arch (Core 2 Duo)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Lepaca Kliffoth

Compiling on AMD64 arch (Core 2 Duo)

Post by Lepaca Kliffoth »

On AMD64 vbox the compilation fails while trying to build the additions. I disabled them in Config.kmk but kmk still tries to build them. How do I solve this?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

As a quick hack you could modify src/VBox/Makefile.kmk and comment out the line

Code: Select all

SUBDIRS += Additions
goeland86

Post by goeland86 »

I just installed Virtualbox on a dual opteron system (amd64 arch) using gentoo's emerge. I'm not sure whether gentoo used the 32 bit libraries to compile it, but it's working sweet. Aside from the network driver (which I can't download from AMD for some reason), Vista's working smooth, and XP's installing. I don't know what distro you run, but if you're on Duo Core2, are you on amd64 or just regular x86_64 arch, which I believe is different, amd64 is specifically for AMD's 64 bit architecture (Athlon64, Opteron, AthlonFX, Turion and Sempron64).
Only issues I seem to have are random keyboard focus loss, which prevents me from closing the virtual machine, and I have to swap to a VT to kill the virtualbox process with -9...
Good luck to you!
cgoncalves

Post by cgoncalves »

I simply can't compile the SVN version on my Intel Core 2 Duo 6600.
After the successful ./configure && source env.sh (both wihout any errors/warnings), when running kmk I get:

Code: Select all

carlos@corenux:~/svn/vbox> kmk
Config.kmk:888: /home/carlos/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/GCCConfig.kmk: No such file or directory
kBuild: Generating /home/carlos/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/GCCConfig.kmk
kmk: *** [/home/carlos/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/GCCConfig.kmk] Error 1
The failing command:
        @# HC compiler switch detction.

Would appreciate if anyone could help me.
Btw, I'm running openSUSE 10.2 x86_64.

Thanks in advance!
goeland86

Post by goeland86 »

I don't know, but it seems like it's failing to find a file, GCCConfig.kmk, from the looks of it.
Gentoo compiled it for me, I didn't even have to bother looking at the source myself, so I don't know what's wrong. But if you can compile the vboxdrv module, I can make a tarball of the binaries for you.
Sorry I can't help more.
cgoncalves

Post by cgoncalves »

But if you can compile the vboxdrv module
And how I can do it? :roll:
I can make a tarball of the binaries for you.
But is it the SVN version?
goeland86

Post by goeland86 »

yes, I use the svn version.
As for the module, there's got to be a way to specify how to build just that. Perhaps try to get more help in the IRC forum? (#vbox on freenode.net)
I just started using virtualbox yesterday, so I'm kind of a n00b as to virtualbox stuff...