VirtualBox crashed my Debian? Had to reboot.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

VirtualBox crashed my Debian? Had to reboot.

Post by ant »

Weird.

I was using v1.5.0 (deb) and Windows XP Pro. SP2 with all critical updates in guest. I think I hit winkey and both Start Menu and KDE v3.5.7's K menu (have Winkey assigned to it) came up. Then, KDE started weird (keyboard not responding). Mouse was fine. I went to text console with ctrl-alt-f1 keys and see it was OK, and came back. Tried unplugging the non-USB keyboard and replugging. No help. Tried using my old Belkin OmniCube and switched to my other machine (Windows XP Pro. SP2) and then back to Debian. No help. Also, my VirtualBox's XP session with keyboard didn't respond either!

From here, I thought maybe VirtualBox frozed it up so I shut down its Windows XP session with the mouse and exited VirtualBox. No help. Then, I noticed Kicker was frozen too. I tried ctrl-alt-backspace and it failed. Keyboard is totally dead here. I deicded to kill startx, KDE, and other X-related processes via a SSH connection from my other box. Some of the killed processes took a while to die. Finally, I ended up in console, BUT it was pitch black (blank). I couldn't do anything here either. I could see my double scrolllock hotkey and lights work.

Eventually, I gave up and had to shutdown -r now. :( Also, dmesg and /var/log/messages didn't show anything ODD. I will post them if I reproduce the issue again.

Did anyone run into this problem? VirtualBox seems unreliable compared to VMware v5.x. Am I expecting too much? Thank you in advance. :)