Keyboard stops working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
darkoth
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP Pro, Vista, Win7

Keyboard stops working

Post by darkoth »

Virtualbox Version - 2.2.2 r 46594
Host - Ubuntu 9.04
Guest - Windows XP Pro 32bit w/ SP3
Guest Additions installed (2.2.2)

I've been having this problem since I upgraded to 2.2.2. I will be typing inside my Windows Guest and the keyboard will suddenly stop working. If I click out of the Guest and into a terminal window on the Host and start typing it works. When I go back into the guest, my keyboard starts working again. Anyone else having this issue with the keyboard just stopping and then suddenly starting again when you "re-init" it in the host?

I'm running on a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop which is connected to a docking station which has another monitor and a USB keyboard attached. I've never had a problem in my guests with the keyboard prior to this. I did have the "copy/paste" issues in the previous release, but those seem to have been fixed with this release.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Keyboard stops working

Post by Perryg »

This sounds like something on the host is pulling the focus from the guest. Can you click on the guest and get the KB focus back or will it only work when you go to the host and back to the guest? Look at the host to see if there is something that runs on a time basis that could be taking the focus away from the guest.
crs
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP professional

Post by crs »

sounds exactly like the problem i have.
I use the latest 3.2.12 packages from "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid" on my ubuntu host with a win xp guest, up-to-date guest-tools and ps/2 keyboard.
When it happens that the keyboard stops working, my mouse (usb) is still ok and i can click other windows in my guest system - but this does not bring the keyboard back. Only if i type something in my hosts terminal app does fix the issue temporary.
crs
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP professional

Post by crs »

seems like this is an issue with the standard ubuntu screensaver. After disabling the screensaver completely everything was fine.
baj
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WXP SP3, Win98

Post by baj »

I have had the same problem numerous times, didn't think about the screen saver but do have that enabled. It doesn't cause the issue every time it kicks in, that is for certain.

The fix I found is to change the view. Going Full Screen <Host+F> gets my keyboard working again. I can go back <Host+F again> to my previous mode and it still works.

Cheers,
-Brad