Virtualbox 1.4.0 won't start:0% [SOLVED]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vatbier

Virtualbox 1.4.0 won't start:0% [SOLVED]

Post by vatbier »

Mandriva Linux 2007.1 as host
uname -r: 2.6.20.14-tmb-desktop-1mdvsmp
AMD AM2 X2 Athlon 64 5600+ 2MB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 (AMD) rev. 1.1 , Bios version f6

I uninstalled Virtualbox 1.3.8 OSE and installed Virtualbox 1.4.0 as it has some more features.
When trying to boot the WinXP install cd in Virtualbox it halts at "starting the virtual machine 0%".

The log file didn't show anything meaningful.
I found no solution at forums.virtualbox.org, only these:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=287 :
Ok it works now, I had Device Driver --> Virtualisation --> KVM and KVM_INTEL compiled into my kernel.
Ollonois on the getoo forum gave me the right hint, and I disabled KVM and compiled my kernel again and now it works.
-vatbier: I'm not going to try to compile my mandriva kernel myself.

finally I have found the problem
this it is due to the motherboard that does not give to support to the instructions of virtualizacion PACIFIC presents in AMD processors AM2
the main board is one GIGABYTE GA-M61-PM-S2, although other main board of the same mark also suffer of these problems

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1121 :
A longshot, but do you have AMD hardware virtualization turned off in the BIOS? The symptoms of this bug are different, but it might be related.
That did it!
The laptop must have shipped with the option disabled.
You're a god, man, thanks!
-vatbier: I looked in my BIOS but I didn't find an option to enable AMD hardware virtualization. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 (AMD) rev. 1.1

http://www.developerfood.com/amd-v-comp ... ticle.aspx :
AMD-V COMPATIBILITY ISSUE?
I have installed Virtual PC 2007 (6.0.156.0) on a new machine, under both XP SP2 and Vista. In both cases Virtual PC reports (under About/Information) that the processor (AMD 64 X2 3600+ 1.9 GHz 1MB, ADO3600DDBOX, stepping G1) supports AMD-V. However the option to enable Hardware Virtualization is 'Not available'.
There is no option in the BIOS (latest version for motherboard GA-M55S-S3 installed) to switch AMD-V support on or off, but since VPC reports that the processor supports it, it doesn't look like this is the problem (as it has been for others). But I have asked Gigabyte to confirm whether there might be a hardware/BIOS issue.
I have tried running VMware Player, and it does seem to be using hardware virtualization: the log file shows virtualHW.version = "4", but I don't know exactly what this means.
So, is this a problem with Virtual PC? Maybe the G1 stepping is not recognized by Virtual PC?
RE: AMD-V COMPATIBILITY ISSUE? (NO)
Following up, I have received a beta BIOS update from Gigabyte which includes an option to enable (or in fact to disable) hardware virtualization, and this resolves the issue with Virtual PC 2007 not being able to make use of it.
Edward Leigh
Edward@discussions.microsoft.com
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 6:36:11 AM
-vatbier: When I try Virtual PC in WinXP "Hardware Virtualization" option doesn't same available and if I recall correctly I didn't see at About/Information anything about supporting AMD-V.
But Virtual PC does work in my WinXP.
Virtualbox in my WinXP crashes totally.

I then installed the latest bios version f8 from www.gigabyte.com.tw . When I rebooted the motherboard emitted a short annoying sound. The Grub menu appeared where I selected Linux but all I got was a black screen, Linux just wouldn't start up. Luckily I had made a backup of my old Bios f6 so I could regain access to my computer.

So I couldn't get Virtualbox 1.4.0 to work on my computer.

I then managed to install VMWare Workstation for Linux: that works perfectly which was a big relief. Only when I start WinXP in vmware it sometimes complains "Failed to open sound device /dev/dsp:Device or resource busy." "Virtual device sound will start disconnected". 10 or 30 seconds later I am then able able to connect it by using the vmware sound adapter dialog. Maybe it has to do with arts, I don't know.

I will retry to use Virtualbox when I install Mandriva Linux 2008 but I fear the fault lies with Virtualbox that doesn't know well to work with my motherboard.

vatbier
Last edited by vatbier on 10. Sep 2007, 00:47, edited 3 times in total.
vatbier

Post by vatbier »

ah, I see that Virtualbox 1.5.0 is out. I'll try that right away.

vatbier
vatbier

Post by vatbier »

Yess !! Virtualbox 1.5.0 works in my ML2007.1 (with 2.6.20.14-tmb-desktop-1mdvsmp): I'm now installing WinXP virtual.

First disappointment: Virtualbox 1.5.0 doesn't automatically resizes the desktop from 1024 to 1280 when switching to full-screen mode. VMware can do this.
Update: after installing Guest Additions Virtualbox resizes also to 1280 in full-screen mode. But it doesn't have that bar on top of the screen that vmware has to iconify or to restore the window. In virtualbox I have to click HOST+F.

vatbier
jza

Post by jza »

whats the problem with clicking Host-F?
vatbier

Post by vatbier »

I prefer using my mouse in stead of using two hands on my keyboard. This is a really small problem, no priority to be solved right away. But it's the first thing I noticed when using Virtualbox.

vatbier