VBox 1.5 can use VMWare .vmdk disks and convert them to .vdi

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
aemau

VBox 1.5 can use VMWare .vmdk disks and convert them to .vdi

Post by aemau »

In an earlier post I suggested that VBox could not use .vmdk disks created by VMWare. Following the recommendations in the responses to that post I did succeed in using my .vmdk disks in VBox 1.5. Not only that I managed to convert the .vmdk disks to .vdi disks and the latter allow the use of snapshots unlike the .vmdk disks. So anyone contemplating a migration from VMWare to VBox may be interested to know that a full conversion is possible. I am in fact posting this message from a virtual machine running in a .vdi file converted from a .vmdk file created by VMware Server.

In case anyone is interested my system is a Core 2 Duo with 3GB of ram running Suse 10.2 as host and WXP as guest. I have set up Samba on the host for sharing files between host and guest and so far everything works perfectly (conversion is barely two hours old).

Congratulations to the development team for a FANTASTIC pieceof work.

Allan
smithpdo

Re: VBox 1.5 can use VMWare .vmdk disks and convert them to

Post by smithpdo »

aemau wrote: Congratulations to the development team for a FANTASTIC piece of work.
Allan
These are exactly my feelings. The USB and serial ports are still problematic but other than that it is a marvellous product. I am confident the team will soon solve these problems and then they will have the best bar none.
Discovering VirtualBox was an 'Aha' moment for me, this is how it should be done.
nc42

Post by nc42 »

Is there a procedure for this?