Cannot ping virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sanximb

Cannot ping virtual machine

Post by sanximb »

I have set up a Windows XP virtual machine and found its IP address with ipconfig in cmd.exe. When I try to ping the address in the Linux terminal it cannot find anything, though. Does anyone know how to find my VM?
x-Na

Re: Cannot ping virtual machine

Post by x-Na »

sanximb wrote:I have set up a Windows XP virtual machine and found its IP address with ipconfig in cmd.exe. When I try to ping the address in the Linux terminal it cannot find anything, though. Does anyone know how to find my VM?

Is your guest attached to Host Interface in VirtualBox network configuration? VirtualBox network configuration defaults to NAT and when using NAT your guest OS will have an IP from different network (from 10.*.*.* address space), which probly isn't what you're using on your host.

If you attach your guest to host interface and assing an IP belonging to same network as your host, you'll be able to ping your guest.
sanximb

Post by sanximb »

Great, I set it to a host interface and its IP address is 0.0.0.0. How do I assign it a unique address?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Manually or let it get one via DHCP from your router or server.
sanximb

Post by sanximb »

I have manually set my IP to 192.168.1.(etc) and kept the subnet mask the same but I still cannot ping it. Does it have to do with Windows SP3?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

What are the ip settings for Host and Guest? Firewall disabled on VM?
jackie12

Post by jackie12 »

if you want to ping two machines inside virtual box then keep them in host only mode
got to VB's settings-> network-> host only -> ok