100% CPU Usage on Ubuntu 8.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Re: 100% CPU Usage on Ubuntu 8.10

Post by fixedwheel »

thewzd wrote:and 895mb video ram. Fingers crossed....
ehhm, BTW... do you have compiz running on the host?
thewzd

Post by thewzd »

fixedwheel wrote:ehhm, BTW... do you have compiz running on the host?
Hi, I'm not sure what "compiz" is, so just in case it was a process that I'd see if I had it, I checked with [ps -ef | grep "compiz"] but it showed no results (other than the grep line!) - If you're able to explain where else I need to check to find out, I'm happy to look. Unfortunately, I'm stuck to my laptop about 14hrs a day! :-\
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

thewzd wrote:process that I'd see if I had it, I checked with [ps -ef | grep "compiz"] but it showed no results (other than the grep line!)
then its probably not there. Should be /usr/bin/compiz or if you look into synaptic package manager search for compiz. Its a composite window manager for openGL animated desktop effects and could be suspicious ...
thewzd

Post by thewzd »

hi,
compiz is present in the usr/bin folder
but when i look at 'add/remove applications' there are no compiz items installed on the system
so i'm guessing that i'm ok to rule out any compiz issue, but thanks for the insight.
i also checked my desktop settings, and my visual effects on desktop settings are set to 'none'
thewzd

Post by thewzd »

...another quick update, relating to compiz.

Now that I understand what compiz is, I looked for related apps to control it, and I installed the 'Advanced Desktop Effects Settings' available through Add/Remove Applications.

Having had some fun with those effects, with VB running, I got back to checking to see if things made any difference or not. And they didn't, no matter what settings were in place.

However, what did make a difference was when I'd finished playing around, and I switched off the Desktop Effects back to 'None'. Now when I use VB, the host CPU is reporting to be around 50%, not 85-95+%.... so I wonder if Compiz has access to some setting that might be helping to reduce the CPU load, or is it a fluke?

Just to confirm.... [ps -ef | "compiz"] now shows that compiz IS running, whilst before, it was NOT.

Strange huh.

ps: and re-checking again before pressing submit, I'm still at 54% with an idle (Windows quest CPU at 5%).... so somethings changed.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I use Compiz-Fusion on my Xubuntu Host without VB taking any additional CPU. Note that I use Xfce as desktop manager, not Gnome.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.