Windows 10 cannot access the network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pinnerite

Windows 10 cannot access the network

Post by pinnerite »

An established Windows 10 VM on Linux Mint 21.1 started to exhibit problems.

The base cause seems to be its inability to connect to the network or to my network printer.

I have changed the "network" adapter from NAT to Bridged, selected promiscuous but cannot ping in or out.

My other two "adapters" have been set to Host only and NAT (in desperation) but they make no difference.

I have run out of ideas.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 cannot access the network

Post by scottgus1 »

1. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
  2. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
  3. In both host and VM OS's, ping 8.8.8.8. Post the command output. Label which is which.
  4. Determine what is the network router's gateway IP address. In both host and VM OS's, ping the gateway IP address. Post the command output. Label which is which.
  5. In the Linux OS, open a Terminal and run ifconfig or ip address. Post the command output.
  6. In the Windows OS, open a Command Prompt and run ipconfig /all. Post the command output.