Guest machines freeze during boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ForeverNoob

Guest machines freeze during boot

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hello,

Installed VBox on new host (EndeavourOS/Plasma), none of my virtual machines will boot, they just freeze in the middle of the process, no error message. Tried booting them from VDI and ISO images, same result. These machines run perfectly well on old host (Manjaro/Plasma). Please advice.

TIA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest machines freeze during boot

Post by mpack »

Pick one failing VM and give us the VM log from it. Make sure the VM is fully shut down (not sitting with an error dialog), then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
ForeverNoob

Post by ForeverNoob »

mpack wrote:Pick one failing VM and give us the VM log from it. Make sure the VM is fully shut down (not sitting with an error dialog), then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Attachments
VBoxLog.tar.gz
(36.88 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure this is the cause of the problem, but I don't like that you are using Guest Additions from the paleolithic era...
00:00:23.382825 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
This matters more because you've enabled 3D acceleration. There's no way GAs that old are compatible with the current VMSVGA adapter in VirtualBox 7.0.x. From memory, VMSVGA was introduced in 6.1.0.

Also, I see no sign of a "freeze during boot" in that log. The VM boots, reaches the point of loading the GAs (which is done by the guest OS after it succeeds in booting), and the continues until you shut it down. I suspect that the VM had not hung, it may just have had a blank display because of aforesaid GAs problems.
ForeverNoob

Post by ForeverNoob »

mpack wrote:I'm not sure this is the cause of the problem, but I don't like that you are using Guest Additions from the paleolithic era...
00:00:23.382825 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
This matters more because you've enabled 3D acceleration. There's no way GAs that old are compatible with the current VMSVGA adapter in VirtualBox 7.0.x. From memory, VMSVGA was introduced in 6.1.0.

Also, I see no sign of a "freeze during boot" in that log. The VM boots, reaches the point of loading the GAs (which is done by the guest OS after it succeeds in booting), and the continues until you shut it down. I suspect that the VM had not hung, it may just have had a blank display because of aforesaid GAs problems.
Hi,

Indeed, I disabled 3D acceleration and this specific arch machine boots normally. Great.

The other machine (manjaro/KDE) also boots now fine from the live ISO, but not from the VDI where it stuck on the animated loading screen and never reaches SDDM.

Not sure why the guest additions are so old. I installed Virtualbox from official repos (community) where all relevant packages are 7.0.8+. Also, as far as I remember, I didn't explicitly installed guest additions on any of my guest machines.

What can I do to make the manjaro guest boot again? 3D acceleration isn't really required.

Thanks
ForeverNoob

[SOLVED] Re: Guest machines freeze during boot

Post by ForeverNoob »

Ah, I switched graphic from VMSVGA to VBoxVGA and everything works OK.

Many thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Guest machines freeze during boot

Post by mpack »

ForeverNoob wrote:Ah, I switched graphic from VMSVGA to VBoxVGA
Not recommended. That's a short term hack, using a virtual chipset that has been deprecated for a long time. VMSVGA is recommended, and selected in the template for all Linux VMs for good reason.

The recommended solution was is to update your obsolete Guest Additions, which you have to do from inside the guest: changing the host software will do nothing.
Stradman
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by Stradman »

The recommended solution was is to update your obsolete Guest Additions, which you have to do from inside the guest: changing the host software will do nothing.
I have the same issue. Using VMSVGA, 3D acceleration enabled. And running up-to-date 7.0.8 Guest Additions.
When I disable 3D acceleration it works. 3D acceleration got broken after upgrading VirtualBox from 7.0.6 to 7.0.8.

The OS boots fine, but once there is any desktop window rendering activity (open an application etc.), I get a crash, screen goes black and the guest OS is not responding. An exception is when I bring up a desktop context menu: then the desktop crashes but it gets back to login screen. This allows me to get to TTY to view the dmeg trace.

Also, seems to be a problem with 7.0.8 on Linux hosts. On a Windows 10 host I am running 7.0.8 and same guest OS (KDE Neon) is fine.
Attachments
VBox.zip
Host log
(40.76 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
dmesg-vmsvga-crash-7.0.8.txt
Guest dmesg with kernel crash trace
(73.51 KiB) Downloaded 3 times