Sparky error message when installing Guest Additions 7.0.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

Sparky error message when installing Guest Additions 7.0.8

Post by lpmanjaro »

Below is the content of /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log after installing GA's on a Sparky raw vmdk installation.

"Currently loaded module vboxguest version () does not match to Virtual Box Guest Additions instalation version (7.0.8 R156879)"
Need help understanding what the above means and how to fix it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sparky error message when installing Guest Additions 7.0.8

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like a previously-present Guest additions install did not depart gracefully when the new GAs were installed. Maybe uninstalling old GAs and rebooting, also prerequisites needed to be run https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq same as installing Virtualbox on the host.
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

I reinstalled Sparky from scratch/ISO file, and simply installed GA 7.0.8 and still the long timeout before Sparky starts.

Next I will download a fresh copy of Sparky from the distrowatch site. But not his evening.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Linux distros often "helpfully" preinstall Guest Additions in their OS's so they run "better" in the Linux distro's fork of Virtualbox. "Helpfully" and "better" in double quotes because on official virtualbox they don't and aren't. The VM's log will reveal if preinstalled GAs are present.

Please use the fresh install VM. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Unfortuantly I didn't see your post before re-installing (From a new downloaded ISO file from SoundForge) sparky. Didn't install any updates, just a raw install of sparky. Booted sparky raw, came up fine (No 5 minute delay) so shut it down and built a client in host Manjaro for sparky (Simply used original client definitions except built a new diskfile to update the UUID of the raw sparky volume.) Booted sparky as client and tried to install the same VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file I've used on all the other Linux clients installed on the same physical SSD as sparky. When running VBoxLinuxAdditions.run it hangs (Doesn't finish) for 5 minutes.

Next I swithced out the virtual VBoxLinuxAdditions 7.0.8 for 7.0.6 (In the virtualCD) and it installed just fine. IE No 5 minute delay.
All of the above was done without rebooting the client.
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Started with sparky running with 7.0.6 GA installed as that GA does not have a problem in sparky.
I reloaded 7.0.8 GA in the virtual CD and started the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run in the virtual CD.
The process completed with the initial error message above and basically hung, so did a systemctl poweroff (from a launcher custom built.) and
the syslog from VB is attached.
Attachments
Sparky-2023-05-15-16-26-01.log.zip
(43.87 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

I reinstalled sparky from scratch and did NOT install any guest additions. Seems as though Sparky works fine as a client...
Did a lsmod and lo and behold vboxguest IS installed and clearly that is what the installation of GA is mentioning and because there is a incompatability that GA installtion complains about the issue is "proabably" the miss match of versions.
So the question is, how do I uninstall vboxguest from a un-moded sparky before attempting to install 7.0.8 GA ?
stulander

Post by stulander »

Hopefully this helps, I am using debian 11 not sparky but it should be the same process:

Check VM logs (right click VM > show in explorer > logs)

Code: Select all

00:00:14.624993 VMMDev: Guest Log: vboxguest: host-version: 7.0.8r156879 0x8000000f
00:00:14.625018 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
If you see something like that (version mismatch - 7.0.8 vs 6.0.0) do the following: (I just checked your log file, you're having the exact same issue so the below should fix it for you :) )

Install headers for your kernel version:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-5.10.0-23-amd64
(This is mine, yours will be different, use the command below)

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Install gcc, perl, make

sudo apt-get install gcc perl make
Remove guest addition boot services

sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-x11.service

sudo rm /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd.service
sudo rm /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-service.service
sudo rm /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-x11.service
(Reboot now if you can't run the rmmod commands below succesfully)

Unload vbox kernel modules

sudo rmmod vboxguest
sudo rmmod vboxsf
sudo rmmod vboxvideo
Remove module files

sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vboxguest.ko
sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vboxsf.ko
sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vboxvideo.ko
Update initramfs