error You must specify a machine to start, using the command line. Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm &l

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
malijoy

error You must specify a machine to start, using the command line. Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm &l

Post by malijoy »

I am having trouble unzipping Ngrok this is the error I get. Please I need help fixing this issue asap..thx.

You must specify a machine to start, using the command line.

Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm <name|UUID>
Starts the VirtualBox virtual machine with the given name or unique identifier (UUID).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: error You must specify a machine to start, using the command line. Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startv

Post by scottgus1 »

malijoy wrote:unzipping Ngrok
Never heard of this, what is it? If a 3rd-party app is using Virtualbox for its operatrions, the 3rd-party app has to support its usage. We only support un-controlled Virtualbox here. If you can demonstrate the problem using Virtualbox only, then we can help.
malijoy wrote:Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm <name|UUID>
< means < and > means >. While the error popup does have the < > 's, they're are actually deceptive. If you actually used the < > around the VM name, the command would fail with a syntax error.

The command should really be:

VirtualboxVM --startvm "VM name"

using double quotes instead of < >, where VM name is the exact spelling and capitalization of the VM's name. Case counts.

It appears like the app you're using has a syntax error in its command.
malijoy

Re: error You must specify a machine to start, using the command line. Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startv

Post by malijoy »

what I was doing was installing Ngrok, you have to double click to unzip and that is when I get the error box. I am new to this and learning as I go so I have no clue what the issue is and how to fix it. Any help and or suggestions to fix is welcomed...please i'm so lost
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

malijoy wrote:you have to double click to unzip
Unzipping isn't a Virtualbox thing. You'll have to ask the Ngrok folks what's going on.