Not seeing VHDs unless runnign VB as sudo

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Mjoy99

Not seeing VHDs unless runnign VB as sudo

Post by Mjoy99 »

I recently installed virtual box on ubuntu 20.04 using apt-get install. I installed the extension pack as well. The VHD was created by a windows 10 PC using Disk2VHD utility.

The VHD is on its own partition due to the size. I have tried it on a nvme mounted SSD as well.

When I run VirtualBox from the application manager or from a terminal, and I click to add a VHD, it is not visible when I navigate to the file location. If I run VirtualBox from the terminal using sudo, the VHD is visible.

I updated the user and group of the file to my user account and rebooted with no change in results. I did not have a vbusers group when I checked, but I did an add user to a vbusers group. I changed persmissions on the file to 777 and also to 600 with no change in results.

I created a new VHD using VB and that worked fine.

I am not sure what else to try, but running VB with sudo created issues with my boot partition filling up and I don't want to repeat that.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Not seeing VHDs unless runnign VB as sudo

Post by scottgus1 »

Running Virtualbox as sudo does open more vectors for problems and should be avoided if possible.

The VHD not being visible is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on a Windows host if the file was in the user's folders, but the app was "Run As Administrator" (Windows' version of "sudo"). The app is really running in a different account when Run As Admin or sudo, and the user's files aren't available to the other account.

I don't know anything about Linux permissions & such (or much else about Linux fwiw). On Windows I've solved the "can't see the file because of Run As Admin" by putting the file in a public folder (like "C:\Users\Public") that was accessible from all accounts. If Linux has such a public all-accounts-accessible folder, try putting the VHD there.