Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Kraut
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux and Windows 10

Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by Kraut »

After upgrading VirtualBox from 6.1 to 7.0.8 on my RHEL 8 host, networking in a Windows 10
guest is glacially slow in one direction. Copying a 200 MB file from a remote system to the
guest is approximately as fast as on the host (~2 seconds), but copying the same file in the
opposite direction effectively stalls, only completing after many minutes. In Wireshark I see
many retransmissions.
Both host and guest have two network interfaces connected to different subnets. The issue
on the guest happens for remote hosts on either subnet. In the guest, the network adapters
are Bridged Adapters of type Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM).
After downgrading to VirtualBox 6.1 the problem is gone. Since both host and guest are
configured identically before the upgrade, after upgrade, and again after downgrade, it
seems only the VirtualBox version is different when the problem occurs.
How do I go about diagnosing the cause of this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by scottgus1 »

I personally don't know the answer to this one. Since reverting to 6.1 restores good behavior, it's possible there's a bug, but since Bridged is being used it's also possible there's an incompatibility between 7.0's Bridged driver and the host's network adapter driver, which could also be a bug.

Try zipping/posting a vbox.log from the problematic 7.0 network operation, along with a zipped or linked wireshark trace. Maybe someone can figure it out.
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

scottgus1 wrote: 4. May 2023, 03:09 Try zipping/posting a vbox.log from the problematic 7.0 network operation, along with a zipped or linked wireshark trace. Maybe someone can figure it out.
Finally got to try this again. Attached is the vbox log and a wireshark trace captured on the host. The file transfer was from 205.159.216.154 (the Windows 10 guest) to file server 10.1.102.8. There are lots of duplicate ACK and fast retransmissions. The transfer never finished. This does not happen with vbox 6.x.
Attachments
ws_sample.pcapng.zip
(122.57 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
VBox.log.zip
(55.86 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Wireshark capture seems to indicate problems with segmentation offloading. Please try the following:

In the VM configuration, disable System > Processor > Nested VT-x/AMD-V and see if the issue persists. Even if you think that this test does not make sense, do it nonetheless. ;)

In the VM configuration, disable one of the network adapters and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists with both changes applied, create simultaneous Wireshark captures on the host and in the guest. When providing the Wireshark captures, make sure that the TCP handshake is included. Please provide a new (zipped) VBox.log file of the VM run corresponding to the Wireshark captures.
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

Please try the following
Just returned from a business trip. Thanks for the suggested tests. I will do these, but unfortunately I won't have time to do this for probably another four weeks, as I'm about to leave for a long vacation.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

It doesn't really matter if you answer in 1 day or 1 month, I'd anyway have forgotten what I wrote before. ;)

Have a nice vacation! :)