Copying A WIN10 Guest To Another Computer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MikeGreen9
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Copying A WIN10 Guest To Another Computer

Post by MikeGreen9 »

Ubuntu 22.04 Host
VBox Version 7.0.6 r155176, Windows 10 Guest
Guest Additions 6.1.38

Hi.

I am running VBox with a WIN10 Guest on my Ubuntu Desktop, and I want to copy the WIN10 Guest over to a VBox Partition on my Ubuntu Laptop.

The pertinent Files on my Desktop VBox Partition look like this:
VBox7 WIN10
--- VBox WIN10
------ Logs
------ VBox WIN10.vbox
------ VBox WIN10.vbox-prev
------ VBox WIN10.vdi
Virtual Disk
--- NewVirtualDisk.vdi

1. What is the purpose of each of these files ?

2. Where does the WIN10 Guest reside?

3. The plan would be to Install VBox in a similar partition on the laptop, and then copy over the required files for the WIN10 Guest. The question is , which files pertain to the WIN10 Guest?

Thanks,
M....
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Copying A WIN10 Guest To Another Computer

Post by scottgus1 »

Usually, the files within the folder "VBox WIN10" are the VM's files. Copy the whole folder and the VM gets copied. Use the new host main Virtualbox window Machine menu Add command to register the new copy's .vbox file on the new host.

The .vbox file is the VM's "motherboard". It contains the VM's "hardware" recipe. There is also a ".vbox-prev" file, which is made by Virtualbox as a backup to on-the-fly changes made by Virtualbox to the .vbox file.

The .vdi is the VM's hard disk. Your VM has a "VBox WIN10.vdi" file with the same name as the .vbox file, which is normal.

The .vbox file can be opened and read in a text editor. Check the "VBox WIN10.vbox" contents for mention of the other "NewVirtualDisk.vdi" disk file. If the .vbox file mentions it, it too is part of the VM along with the folder it's in.

You could post the .vbox file, zipped, and we could take a look if the "NewVirtualDisk.vdi" is part of the VM.