[Solved] Impossible to read images on Phone from guess.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Leloup78

[Solved] Impossible to read images on Phone from guess.

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

VirtualBox: 7.0.2r154219
Host: Windows 10
Guess: Linux Mint Mate 21.2
Phone: Samsung Galaxy 20

On phone, USB debugging is activate. It is connected to PC through the USB port.
On guess, firewall is off.
On virtual machine manager,
- configuration/USB/SAMSUNG[Android] is checked.
- configuration/Network/Adapter1/access by bridge/RealteK PCIe controller (It is necessary?)

On terminal: $ mtp-connect
Device 0 is a samsung galaxy model (mtp)
$ mtp-folder: Successfully connected
libusb_claim_interface() reports interface is busy likely in use by GVFS or KDE MTP. So, no file from my phone are seen.

Phone is mounted like a disk.

I retried with Warpinator in linux and Warpinator in phone.

So, my questions are:
Do you think the virtual machine manager is correctly configured?
Did I forget something?
Do you have an idea, a recommendation?
Regards,
Leloup
Last edited by Leloup78 on 30. May 2023, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Impossible to read images on Phone from guess.

Post by scottgus1 »

If you are trying to access the phone via USB, carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

If you are trying to access the phone through a network, check if you can ping the phone from inside the VM. If you can, the network is working and other non-Virtualbox software has to be configured.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour and Thank you for your support.
The problem I'm facing is not mentioned in the list.
The cell phone is detected via the guest's USB port.
Up there, so good.
From Guest, several applications for managing MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) have been loaded and tried, with the same result. Unable to access phone content.
The following commands may be useful, as the USB port may be occupied by GVFS.
pkill kiod5
pkill gvfs
From terminal of Guest, when the mtp-detect command is run, an authorization request is made on the phone. In any case, the phone is detected and a complete phone report is displayed on the terminal. The USB port is reset and the problem is that it won't reboot. As a result, the port remains cut off and the phone's contents inaccessible.
However, if I proceed as follows, I can access the contents of the phone.
tel_ecran_transfert.png
tel_ecran_transfert.png (46.02 KiB) Viewed 757 times
On the Samsung:
Usb controlled by This device
Using for:
any point can be chosen, it's not important at first
then select: Image transfer
A small window appears in the host:
"Auto run
Samsung"
then select: File transfer /Android Auto
The contents of the phone are fully accessible from Guest, whether using the mtp-detect or mtp-folders commands or the file explorer nemo, thunar, caja...

In my opinion, the virtual USB port cannot be reset by either the guest's mtp-detect application or the guest's file explorer. Which is a defect.
When "image transfer" is selected from the phone, why does a window appear on the host when the phone is detected on the guest? From me, this is defect.
We could consider the problem solved, but in my opinion, the virtual port is not working properly.

Regards,
Leloup
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

From this:
Leloup78 wrote:The cell phone is detected via the guest's USB port.
and no presence of any USB Basics step 8 troubleshooting data, I gather that the Virtualbox USB Filter is successful in getting the phone into the Guest.

However, when you run the phone's apps inside the Guest, the apps cannot connect, and:
Leloup78 wrote:A small window appears in the host:
"Auto run
Samsung"
Some USB devices reconfigure themselves into different "devices" after they've been accessed. They "unplug" and "replug" themselves virtually as different "devices" than what they were before. This process makes the original USB Filter not match, and the devices gets pulled from the Guest and sent back to the host.

You could try running the tutorial step 8 "vboxmanage list usbhost" data before and after the phone is accessed, and see if the phone's filter data changes. Separate USB filters might be needed for each change. Though the process of re-filtering may reset the device back to its initial configuration, which would mean you can't use this device in a Virtualbox guest.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

tableau_smsg.png
tableau_smsg.png (36.1 KiB) Viewed 679 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Impossible to read images on Phone from guess.

Post by scottgus1 »

Leloup, it appears you've marked this topic Solved. How did you fix the problem, please?
Leloup78

Re: [Solved] Impossible to read images on Phone from guess.

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

As soon as I can upload images from my cell phone or any other files, I consider my problem solved.
The resolution is described above. You have to select the commands on the phone in a certain order, or to put it another way, before selecting "Transfer file", you have to select another menu.

The last table shows that you were right, each time we change menu, although the bus is the same, the USB port changes identification from the host but also from the guest. This could be the beginning of an explanation.

Thank you
Regards,
Leloup