"vboxmanage list hdds" command

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

"vboxmanage list hdds" command

Post by lpmanjaro »

When I execute the "vboxmanage list hdds" I get a different, and shorter list, then when i execute "sudo vboxmanage list hdds" command.
Can anyoine help me understand why ? What is the difference ?
(I exclusively use raw VMDK files and vbox to access raw metal installations of other linux installations as vbox clients. So those are the only "hdds" listed.)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: "vboxmanage list hdds" command

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox config and registered media info is normally stored per-user. Presumably at some point you were running VMs as root for some reason, with a different set of config info.
lpmanjaro

Re: "vboxmanage list hdds" command

Post by lpmanjaro »

I deleted all the "inaccessable" entries in the "sudo vboxmanage list hdds" listing, and deleted virtualbox (Deleting the "VirtualBox VMs and /.comfig/VirtualBox" directories. Reinstalled virtualbox (But do have install using "sudo pacman -S virtualbox")
and recreated all my client entries. Now the list command using sudo shows nothing, and without the "sudo" I only get the VMDK files in use.

I think it's important to manage storage used by clients from within virtualbox, not from a terminal display. Also, bouncing virtualbox may be necessary for certain listing to get updated. There is a problem when creating a raw client vmdk file that defines partitions as there are two files created and only one is needed to add as the storage definition within a client, so deleting (from within vbox) the file does NOT delete the partitions file.