Guest additions automatically installed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
camvirt

Guest additions automatically installed

Post by camvirt »

I am running mx-linux as the host, version 7.06r15576(qt5.15.2) and installed Opensuse as the guest and after shutting the guest Opensuse after a lockup after restarting opensuse the guest additions was automatically installed. I had not installed the Guest additions and the screen on Opensuse would not go to full screen because of the omission.

Can Virtualbox install automatically the guest additions for a guest perhaps specifically Opensuse guest?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest additions automatically installed

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox does not automatically install GAs, but many Linux distros do.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

camvirt wrote:Can Virtualbox install automatically the guest additions for a guest perhaps specifically Opensuse guest?
Yes, VirtualBox 7.0.6 offers the automatic installation of the Guest Additions as part of an unattended installation of the guest OS. For example, documented in Unattended Installation of the Linux Guest Additions.
camvirt

Post by camvirt »

This was not unattended installed. I placed user information manually. Below is what a unattended looks like from the documentation and I disabled this option yet Opensuse guest 15.4 was able to install the guest.
Attachments
opensuse unattendd guest.png
opensuse unattendd guest.png (66.78 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

If it wasn't the unattended installation, then it probably was the Linux guest OS itself, as mpack said. I know about three possibilities: the two already mentioned, and the human factor. ;)
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The mxLinux installer does provide an automatic installation of VirtualBox Guest Additions when it recognises that it is being installed as a VirtualBox VM, which ensures that features such as screen resizing are 'immediately' available, but the version installed will be whatever came with the the mx installer used. IME the initial Guest Additions installation can be updated using the standard VirtualBox installation/upgrade procedure without causing any problems or leaving any remnants of the initial installation.
Last edited by multiOS on 19. Mar 2023, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, what multiOS said about the MX Linux installer, also holds true for many other Linux distributions like openSUSE used here. ;)