Problem with linux virtual machines (Ubuntu Mate)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
boxino

Problem with linux virtual machines (Ubuntu Mate)

Post by boxino »

When I open them sometimes the background is displayed as a checkerboard. After opening an application the background becomes unique but often the icons are relegated to the first pane and copying files from the virtual machine is only possible in that pane other times it is not possible. This problem should be solved.
Virtualbox guest: S.O. Linux Ubuntu Mate 22.04.02-LTS, VB version: 7.0.6 (but the problem also arose with previous versions).
Virtulabox additions: last version.
Thank you.

https://ibb.co/dMNfbBh
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problem with linux virtual machines (Ubuntu Mate)

Post by scottgus1 »

boxino wrote:This problem should be solved.
Sorry, the problem needs to be understood a bit more yet. :lol: Can't quite get a grab on your description.

Pictures should be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab:

Also, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
boxino

Post by boxino »

I will try to be clearer, I use an automatic translator. I use VB 7.0.6 for linux on linux Uuntu Mate 22.04-LTS. In the virtual machine is installed Ubuntu Mate 22.04-LTS, I installed inside the virtualbo addition 7.0.6. Often when I open the virtual machine the background instead of being on the whole screen, as it is set, appears in a checkerboard (see image).
This in addition to being aesthetically ugly leads to functional problems:
1) the actual active area is the first box the rest is not usable
2) The icons, at this stage remain relegated to the first box and if there are many some become invisible
3) If I try to copy and paste from the desktop (or other location) this is sometimes impossible sometimes just by dragging the file inside the first pane.
4) Opening a browser the background widens for the entire window but often the functional problems continue (previous points).
Of course I hope that these problems will be resolved and that my exposition will be clearer sufficient.
See you :!:

P.S. for the log as soon as the problem recurs I add them.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
Schermata-a-2023-03-14-17-32-14r1.png (122.93 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Last edited by boxino on 15. Mar 2023, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
boxino

Post by boxino »

Attach the log.
I tried to install another virtual machine with Ubuntu Mate 22.04-LTS and it has the same problem.
See you :!:
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Log
(41.32 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would like to see a new log that includes no mention of the 6.0.0 Guest Additions (preinstalled by Ubuntu).

Also I'd increase VM RAM to 8GB and reduce vCPU count to 2 cores, then enable 3D acceleration.
boxino

Post by boxino »

I don't have much time to install a new machine. Also having version 7 installed I should install the old version of VB, I can't, sorry.
I entered the settings you recommended. Actually, the machines are much better. In the coming days I will see how they go and keep you updated.
boxino

Post by boxino »

Update: Opening the virtual machine the problem recurs by changing the size of the window. Checkerboard view, icons partially "cut" or disappeared behind one of the chess. It is also not possible to drag and drop from the virtual machine to the physical machine and vice versa. Using "screens" and putting the fixed size of the display, for example, 1600x1050 the situation improves but when resizing the machine is point and return. There are also problems with the keyboard, which sometimes has to be transferred as an exclusive USB device otherwise it does not work. Finally it also stuck again I had to reset it.
Also sometimes after resizing the screen the virtual machine remains stuck in the position until the next resizing. The window cannot be moved.
Drag and drop error:

Code: Select all

DnD: Error: Moving to 525,645 (screen 0) failed (VERR_TIMEOUT).

Codice uscita:
VBOX_E_DND_ERROR (0X80BB0011)
Componente:
GuestDnDTargetWrap
Interfaccia:
IGuestDnDTarget {50ce4b51-0ff7-46b7-a138-3c6e5ac946b4}
Chiamante:
IDnDTarget {ff5befc3-4ba3-7903-2aa4-43988ba11554}
Attachments
VBox.log
Log
(101.56 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
boxino

Post by boxino »

Can someone who has Ubuntu Mate install an ubuntu mate machine to verify that it does not have the same problems?
Thank you.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

I'm still on 20.04 myself, but I know plenty of people who are running 22.04 without problems - though AFAIK they're all on 6.x still, as am I. That said...

This part

> 2) The icons, at this stage remain relegated to the first box and if there are many some become invisible

sounds like it's just the damage/repaint bug that's been around for however long it's been since VB 6.0 was released, and (4) supports that. It hasn't been fixed in the last ?4? years, so I doubt that'll change any time soon. Any of the workarounds for the damage bug (CTRL+F twice, xrandr, etc) should resolve that part.

Your other problems though sound more like a broken GA install than anything else, with the VM completely failing to respond to size changes rather than just failing to repaint them correctly. Given the "keyboard, which sometimes has to be transferred as an exclusive USB device" comment though, I'd be a little concerned you've borked the host in some unrelated way, because I'm not really sure those words really make sense. That's a rabbit hole I can't go down for you, but I'd suggest doing a clean HOST install in a spare partition and doing a quick trial run with that: it'll take less than an hour, and answer most of the important questions for you.

Either that or 7.x is going through a very rough patch, but that seems unlikely this late in the process. Not impossible, but unlikely.
boxino

Post by boxino »

Unfortunately, automatic translators still have many limitations. Even your message in some parts, using the automatic translator, seems without a concrete sense.

As far as I could understand:

1) There are unsolved issues with the screen refresh and will stay that way for a long time
2) switching to 7 wasn't a great idea, given the problems it brings with it and which won't be resolved soon.
3) I didn't understand some things due to the limitations of automatic translators.
4) I'll try to install from scratch (yet another) but at this point should I stay with 6?
5) Hypothetically by when do you hope these problems will be resolved?
6) Can you explain yourself better on the speech of the usb keyboard that does not work properly?

Given the limitations of translators, it would be advisable to write short sentences to promote mutual understanding.
Bye.
boxino

Post by boxino »

With linux machines you don't go beyond 128mb, by now they seem too few.
Could the problem of slowdowns also depend on this little video memory :?:
Is there a way to increase the video memory beyond 128mb :?:
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The video memory is sufficient and not the problem.

If your host OS uses Wayland, switch to X11 instead.
If your guest OS uses Wayland, switch to X11 instead.
Does your problem persist?
boxino

Post by boxino »

How do I switch from X11 to Wayland?
Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's a good question for the Linux distro's help channels.