Startup Woes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MikeGreen9
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Startup Woes

Post by MikeGreen9 »

System Setup Mar.09.2023
Ubuntu 22.04
VBox Version 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.3) installed from:
virtualbox-7.0_7.0.6-155176~Ubuntu~jammy_amd64.deb

Background
I was running VBox 5 with guest operating system Windows 7, 32 bit. I tried installing VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6 which failed. As a result I installed VBox 7.0, and the Windows 7 Guest Operating System installed in VBox5 works.

Questions:

1. Do I have to re-install the Windows 7 Guest Operating System for VBOX7 ?

2. Are there any extensions to install for VirtualBox7 ?

3. I have a problem Installing Guest Additions.
I found the GuestAdditions iso: /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
The user manual says:
"In the Devices menu in the virtual machine’s menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image".

Where is the "Devices menu" ?
In the Top Menu Bar I see: File Machine File Manager Help
In the Menu Bar below, I see Options Operations Log Settings Start->

4. In the Virtual Machine "Tools Network" "Host-only Networks"
I created a Network "vboxnet0" which says "Enabled" and I have selected "Configure Adapter Automatically".
The Guest Operating System can't access the internet. What am I doing wrong ?

5. In the Virtual Machine "Tools Media Hard Disks"
I would like the Guest Operating System to see the following partition (and all the directories under it):
/media/mg/DData/
When I select "Add" it "sees: DData but it won't allow me to "Open" it. What am I doing wrong ? Am I limited to using a Virtual Disk instead of an entire existing disk partition and all of its directories ?

6. The Mouse Pointer is limited to the Guest Operating System Window. Is this normal ?

Sorry for the slew of questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
M.....
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Startup Woes

Post by scottgus1 »

MikeGreen9 wrote:I was running VBox 5 with guest operating system Windows 7, 32 bit. I tried installing VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6 which failed.
This is expected. The Extension Pack version must exactly match the Virtualbox version.

BTW, Virtualbox versions are three-group-numbering, not single digits. And for "5" there was 5.0, 5.1, 5.2. "6" had 6.0 and 6.1. EP and VB must match all three numbers, e.g. 6.1.42.

MikeGreen9 wrote:I installed VBox 7.0, and the Windows 7 Guest Operating System installed in VBox5 works.
1. Do I have to re-install the Windows 7 Guest Operating System for VBOX7 ?
No. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

MikeGreen9 wrote:2. Are there any extensions to install for VirtualBox7 ?
The Extension Pack is available on the same page as Virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

MikeGreen9 wrote:3. I have a problem Installing Guest Additions.
I found the GuestAdditions iso: /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
The user manual says:
"In the Devices menu in the virtual machine’s menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image".

Where is the "Devices menu" ?
In the Top Menu Bar I see: File Machine File Manager Help
In the Menu Bar below, I see Options Operations Log Settings Start->
I think you're looking in the main Virtualbox window. Note:
"In the Devices menu in the virtual machine’s menu bar,
Like Bellock and the German army in "Raiders of the Lost Ark",
They're looking in the wrong place.
MikeGreen9 wrote:4. In the Virtual Machine "Tools Network" "Host-only Networks"
I created a Network "vboxnet0" which says "Enabled" and I have selected "Configure Adapter Automatically".
The Guest Operating System can't access the internet. What am I doing wrong ?
Host-Only allows network connections to the host only. (Betcha saw that coming :lol: ) Please see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures. Try Bridged.

MikeGreen9 wrote:5. In the Virtual Machine "Tools Media Hard Disks"
I would like the Guest Operating System to see the following partition (and all the directories under it):
/media/mg/DData/
When I select "Add" it "sees: DData but it won't allow me to "Open" it. What am I doing wrong ? Am I limited to using a Virtual Disk instead of an entire existing disk partition and all of its directories ?
This is called Raw Disk Access. It is a dangerous experts-only feature that can delete the data if done improperly. It is forum policy to not explain it to folks. It would be better if you shared the data through a shared folder, either from your host OS or through Virtualbox Shared Folders.

MikeGreen9 wrote:6. The Mouse Pointer is limited to the Guest Operating System Window. Is this normal ?
It is until you get Guest Additions installed.

If you have any further questions, please start a new topic on the subject of the question. One issue per thread