trying to use physical disk in virtualbox but having errors due to permissions?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LizziAS

trying to use physical disk in virtualbox but having errors due to permissions?

Post by LizziAS »

SO fwiw, i have to

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G disk $USER
and then reboot to use the

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk --filename /path/to/filename.vmdk --rawdisk /dev/devid (sda or nvme0n1 or whatevs)
also the above command is deprecated anyway and the new one looks something like this:

VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename=/path/to/filename.vmdk --variant=RawDisk --format=VMDK --property RawDrive=/dev/devid (sda or nvme0n1 or whatevs)
And my distro devs tell me that having a user in the disk group is a huge security risk and they advise not to do that so after creating the drive with the above commands and getting virtualbox to run the way i like i tried then removing my user from the disk group after setting it up. of course for groups you have to reboot after adding or removing a user from a group for it to take effect. In any case, my vbox will not work without my user being in disk group

Could not open the medium
VD: error VERR_ACCESS_DENIED opening image file
(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005) Component: MediumWrap Interface: IMedium 
i also tried to chmod 777 the vmdk file and chown -R my directory and all it's content so far only adding my user to disk group works. is there another option to solve this probelm as i don't wish for the security risk of user in disk group. thanks.