"clsemedium disk" of a VMDK vbox definition.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

"clsemedium disk" of a VMDK vbox definition.

Post by lpmanjaro »

When deleting an existing VMDK file (There are actually 2 files, one that is "name".vmdk and the other is "name-pt".vmdk) the command "vboxmanage closemedium disk "{uuid}" --delete" does NOT delete the -pt file. Rendering it difficult to create a like named VMDK file. Is this a feature or bug ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: "clsemedium disk" of a VMDK vbox definition.

Post by scottgus1 »

lpmanjaro wrote:When deleting an existing VMDK file (There are actually 2 files, one that is "name".vmdk and the other is "name-pt".vmdk)
I don't recognize the "pt" thingy, what is that?
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

The "-pt" thingy is the second file vbox builds when defining a VMDK virtual disk that defines or limits the partitions that the client can access. IE adding the "--propertiy Partitions=7,8" as an example to the "vboxmanage createmedium disk" etc cmd.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would guess that "-pt" is an extent file (i.e. a portion of the disk image) containing a replacement Partition Table. Yep, leaving it behind would be a minor bug: create a BugTracker ticket for it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

lpmanjaro wrote:"--propertiy Partitions=7,8"
Ah, so we're dealing with Raw Disk Access! Not just 'making a vmdk', we're accessing the host's drives. OK, that opens more possibilities. Because Virtualbox will make regular vmdk disk files anytime without extra 'pt' files being made.
lpmanjaro wrote:The "-pt" thingy is the second file vbox builds when defining a VMDK virtual disk Raw Disk Access VMDK that defines or limits the partitions that the client can access.
There we go, now I get it.
mpack wrote:"-pt" is an extent file (i.e. a portion of the disk image) containing a replacement Partition Table.
Gotcha, I learned something new today! Thanks both!
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Being the dummy that I am, i thought that the only use of a VMDK file in Vbox was ti access a raw client insalled os ? What other uses would a .VMDK file be used for ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

A vmdk is a VMware-format disk file. Virtualbox can use those straight, just like vdi, vhd, etc. These are regular files, just like text files and pictures, but whose contents are an entire file system for the VM OS.

vmdk can also be a text description file that points Virtualbox to use a real host hard disk instead of a disk file stored on the host disk. This appears to be the type of vmdk that you're using, because of the extra pt file.