I give up ... no sound on WinXP client with SuSE11 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
diba1958

I give up ... no sound on WinXP client with SuSE11 Host

Post by diba1958 »

I have tried everything on my SuSe 11 Host , have read tons of threads, have waited for the new VBox version 2.0.4, all works fine, only I miss the sound on my WinXP Client :evil:
If I start my client, the window comes up, telling me, that there is new harware, and it like to be installed. After some minutes searching comes the message ... NO Driver found.
(yes ... clientadditions are installed and mounted, and I have tried both ... Alsa and Pulse). Nothing ... also I have tried to install manually the provided Intel driver. Don work for me.

My Motherboard is an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board with on board audio SoundMax ADI AD1988B 8-channel CODEC.
Is there anyone, who has had the same problem? And resolved?
For me it's like this kind of sound card isn't supported by the VBox audio virtualization.
Thank for your help
Dirk
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Windows should have the drivers build in. Unless you changed the install files, or removed components later with some third party program, it should install just fine. Try to mount the Windows XP install disk and let it look there. If that doesn't work, you can always try to install the realtek AC'97 driver.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
diba1958

Post by diba1958 »

Thank you,
I was convinced, that the audio driver has to come from VBox and not from Win itself.
I have tried the Realtek driver and my Win Virtualbox aborts with a system error (the uggly blue screen).
Ok I will give a try a new installation... should be there goes something wrong with Win and SP3 installed.
Will come back with more news (I hope positive :-) ).
Dirk
diba1958

Never give up :-)

Post by diba1958 »

At the end, ... it works!!!
At first I tried to install a new version, with the same result.
I dont know if that has something to do with it, I have changed the audio settings of my SuseBox from ALSA to Automatic select.
Starting the WinXP virtual machine, I recieved the notice, that the Realtek AC97 driver was found. The newest driver has made trouble (blue screen), but an older driver was installed successfully.
Thank you again,
Dirk
Eric.vanH
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: XP SP3

Re: I give up ... no sound on WinXP client with SuSE11 Host

Post by Eric.vanH »

Hi,
On my VB, there is no "automatic select"

I have to either choose null or some specific one .... but none seams to work for me :(

I've a Thinkpad T61 (SoundMax) with a Linux Suse 12+ and a guest Win XP SP3

and ... no sound :( (Well, if I push the setting to 200% on VLC on the guest and to max on the linux host, then I hear a little something)