VM's don't start after upgrade to 7.0.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
frankz

VM's don't start after upgrade to 7.0.6

Post by frankz »

virtualboxw7pro.png
virtualboxw7pro.png (30.74 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
I have two VM's running on a Linux host: Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 10. Virtual Box version is 6.1. I then upgraded to Virtual box 7.0.6, and now neither VM will start. I de-installed Virtual Box with apt-get purge, thinking that everything would be deleted. I then installed Virtual Box 7.0.6 again. Interestingly the list of VM's re-appeared as before. Also, the same problems. Perhaps there is someone in the forum who can help me out.
Attachments
virtualboxw10.png
virtualboxw10.png (46.22 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM's don't start after upgrade to 7.0.6

Post by scottgus1 »

You've got two different errors and a wrong expectation going.

The "wrong expectation" first:
frankz wrote:I de-installed Virtual Box with apt-get purge, thinking that everything would be deleted. I then installed Virtual Box 7.0.6 again. Interestingly the list of VM's re-appeared as before.
The VM's are Virtualbox's documents, just like pictures are Gimp's documents and text files Gedit's. Just as an update or un/reinstall of Gimp or Gedit won't wipe all your pictures and text docs, so won't your VMs disappear with a Virtualbox un/reinstall, which would make upgrading rather a pain if they did. :wink:

Next you have an 'exit code 1' error, which can be complicated. See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105065&start=15 for ideas.

Finally, your error "File Not Found" is overtly self-explanatory, and about a different VM than the first error, and a different error. Merely having issues with Virtualbox is not 'the same problem'. With this VM Virtualbox expects to find the VM's .vbox configuration file in the displayed path and it isn't there. Go to your host backups, find the file in the latest backup, and copy it back in. Or check to see if there is a 'Windows 10.vbox-prev' file in the stated path, copy it, then rename the copy's name to 'Windows 10.vbox'. Note that this 'File Not Found' error would not occur merely by uninstalling and reinstalling Virtualbox. So there is more to this part of the story that we have not heard yet.