Hardware Acceleration Win 11 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RobinK

Hardware Acceleration Win 11 Guest

Post by RobinK »

I seem to have issues with hardware acceleration in Windows 11 as guest in VirtualBox 7.0.4, host Linux (openSUSE Leap 15.4).

In order for any MS Office component to be usable I have to edit the Windows Registry to disable hardware acceleration in Office specifically. Otherwise all I get in Office apps is an unusable solid white window – or black, or part black and part white. The possible alternative of disabling 3D acceleration in general VM Settings results unhelpfully in failing to capture the mouse and keyboard.

There are other artefacts that might be related to acceleration, at least circumstantially. For example there’s occasional corruption of text in desktop apps; and I can’t get rid of transparency in Win 11 context menus, which can make them hard to read.

Does anyone else see these things, or similar???
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hardware Acceleration Win 11 Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not sure about the Office graphics glitches, but 7.0's graphics are getting worked on.

Please try upgrading to 7.0.6 Virtualbox and Guest Additions. If this does not fix your graphics, please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Since your host OS is Linux, please also provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).
RobinK

Re: Hardware Acceleration Win 11 Guest

Post by RobinK »

Thank you. That's reassuring.

I didn't know VB 7.0.6 was out. I'll try it when it appears in the openSUSE repos before taking things any further.