USB HDDs Randomly Disappear - Also Corrupted and Disappearing Files when Copying

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
NoClue

USB HDDs Randomly Disappear - Also Corrupted and Disappearing Files when Copying

Post by NoClue »

Hello All,

Am running 7.0.4 on Linux Mint 20

When accessing a US External HDD at random times transfers stop, the HDD is no longer accessible and then I find files missing (when moving) or corrupted.

This happens with HDDs connected to both Linux and Windows guests. Google searches etc did not help.

I first noticed this when I had a USB HDD connected to a windows guest. Was calculating checksums of a large batch of files using quicksfv. After a while the windows guest would crash.

After upgrading to 7.0.4 the virtual machine would no longer crash. Now only windows explorer crashed.

Hoping this was a quicksfv issue I tried to test a 100GB+ multi part winrar archive. After a while and checking a few parts of the archive, I get file not found/disk not ready type errors.

This happens again when you retry this after a RANDOM number of archive parts have been checked. It never makes it to the end.

Thinking this might be a windows issue, I tried moving files connecting the USB HDD to a Linux mint guest VM. Transfer got stuck and files were missing.

The same HDD works fine connected to both Windows and Linux Hosts directly.

Have been running VirtualBox on Linux Mint 19 in the past without any issues.

Spent a lot of time searching for a solution without success. Hope someone can help.