Exporting ubuntu server 22.04 from Windows 10 trying to import OVA on linux ERROR message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
smartinezsmx

Exporting ubuntu server 22.04 from Windows 10 trying to import OVA on linux ERROR message

Post by smartinezsmx »

At the center im studying im working from home with virtualbox and i have windows 10, whenever i try to import the exported ova with all my work in there it says the next error message: Error in (line 153) -- Invalid value 'WAS' in AudioAdapter/@driver attribute.

Teachers says that problem is not common and we can't do anything with it, any help would be appreciate. I don't know what is causing the issue i tried exporting several times at home and importing and all the time the same error.

Thanks!

No s'ha pogut obrir/interpretar l'aplicació virtual /home/smartinez.smx2n22@ies.merce/Escriptori/M8 - V2/Ubuntu-22.04.ova.

Error in (line 153) -- Invalid value 'WAS' in AudioAdapter/@driver attribute.

/home/vbox/tinderbox/ubuntu22.04-amd64-build-VBox-6.1/out/out/debian/builddir/obj/VBoxAPIWrap/ApplianceWrap.cpp[407] (virtual nsresult ApplianceWrap::Interpret()).

Codi de resultat:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interfície:IAppliance {86a98347-7619-41aa-aece-b21ac5c1a7e6}
PeterSilb

Re: Exporting ubuntu server 22.04 from Windows 10 trying to import OVA on linux ERROR message

Post by PeterSilb »

Hey! I have exactly the same issue.

Audio is disabled in VirtualBox when i edit the vm.
However in the vmname.vbox file, there is still an xml entry:
<AudioAdapter controller="HDA" driver="WAS"/>

When i delete this enty manually from the file and export then to OVA, the issue remains!
Virtual Box always puts this AdioAdapter in, even tough it is disabled on the vm-settings.

Did you find any solution yet?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Exporting ubuntu server 22.04 from Windows 10 trying to import OVA on linux ERROR message

Post by scottgus1 »

I cannot speak to the error during import.

But as a "Stack Exchange"-style frame challenge:

Why are you trying to import a VM? Do you need a copy? Are you bringing an already-loaded VM from your home Virtualbox host to a school host?

Copies of already-loaded VMs can be made via making full clones. A Virtualbox VM can be copied to a different Virtualbox host simply by copying the whole VM folder then registering the VM using the main Virtualbox window's Machine menu Add command.
PeterSilb

Post by PeterSilb »

I can only speak for me and my use case:

I am creating an ubuntu 22.04 virtual mashine on a windows host for a microservice i want to publish on my remote server.
On this remote server I have multiple vms running. nginx will redirect incomming requests to the appropriate vms.

In order to "upload" my vm (created on windows host) to the remote server (ubuntu headless), i think i need to export it first to .ova?
Or can i 'just' upload the .vbox and .vdi?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

PeterSilb wrote: i think i need to export it first to .ova?
There's no need to import a VM when it's already a VirtualBox VM. Nor is it a good idea, because export/import changes important machine signatures affecting guest OS and guest software licensing and activation.

If the VM is already a VirtualBox VM then you only need to copy/move it to new host. Howto: Move a VM.
smartinezsmx

Post by smartinezsmx »

scottgus1 wrote:I cannot speak to the error during import.

But as a "Stack Exchange"-style frame challenge:

Why are you trying to import a VM? Do you need a copy? Are you bringing an already-loaded VM from your home Virtualbox host to a school host?

Copies of already-loaded VMs can be made via making full clones. A Virtualbox VM can be copied to a different Virtualbox host simply by copying the whole VM folder then registering the VM using the main Virtualbox window's Machine menu Add command.
Sorry for the so late reply, i installed teamviewer from school and just used my pc from there to use the VM.

Asking your question, yes, i need to export the VM from home to import it on my school to keep doing my exercices and then export it from school and take it home, but as im having this error im using teamviewer for the meantime. Where is the folder that i need to move in order to avoid importing and exporting and use it on home and school?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. The folder that opens will be inside the VM's folder. Go up one folder level, and the VM's folder will be visible in the folder window. Copy the whole folder back and forth.

If both your home and school computers have USB 3 ports available, you could instead move the VM folder to an external USB 3 SSD drive on your home PC (right-click the VM in the VM list, choose Move) then take the SSD back and forth to home/school. If the same mount point is always used on the home PC or on the school PC, the VM would always be runnable on either or any other host you can attach the drive to. (Note that the school PC can use a different mount point than the home PC, but the USB drive has to come in on the same mount point each use at home or school. Be careful to not unplug the USB SSD drive while the VM is running.)