Machine installation folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MarioCerutti

Machine installation folder

Post by MarioCerutti »

I'm running VB 7.0 on Linux Mint 21.1, and installed windows 10 machine in the default folder (home/...). Since this folder is on a HDD, the guest start and general operations are rather slow. I would like to move the machine installation folder on the SSD drive somewhere under root, but where is the best place exactly? But, most importantly, is it a good idea to install the virtual machines in the hole folder?

Many thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Machine installation folder

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has no preference for where on an SSD you keep the VM folder. But I would suggest that you mimic the normal folder arrangement, i.e. a container folder containing VM folders. I would imagine that your /home/<user> folder is a good place to keep your VMs (and I assume this is on the SSD). I don't see any advantage to keeping them in the root area, unless you want to share the VMs with other users of your host.
MarioCerutti

Post by MarioCerutti »

Thank you mpack,

My home folder, where my Windows 10 machine is currently located, is on a HDD, which makes the machine operation slower than if it were on a SSD. This is why I was thinking of changing the machine location to somewhere in the root disk, which is on a SSD drive. But before doing that I want to make sure that there won't be problems of any sort. I'm the only one using this PC.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume you understand that VirtualBox does not require you to keep all your VMs in one place. And if you move the VM to a location that turns out be a bad idea then you can simply move it again.

Howto: Move a VM.