Copy Paste between Ubunto 20.04 and VB Ubuntu 20.04

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ozstar

Copy Paste between Ubunto 20.04 and VB Ubuntu 20.04

Post by ozstar »

Hi,

I have ubuntu installed and in it VB with ubuntu installed and working.

I want to be able to copy/paste between the two systems.

I have enabled Shared Clipboard Drag and Drop but it still does not work.

I have read where they say Guest additions but I do not have it on my VB

Can you help me get the copy/paste working please?

EDIT:

I have used the guest CD to create a Shared Folder and it does show in the VB main page under Shared Folders -1 however I cannot find it on the VB os.
I have linked to a folder in the Host Linux and it shows there okay.
I have checked the Mounted and Permanent in the panel.
Hoew can I find it>

oz
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Copy Paste between Ubunto 20.04 and VB Ubuntu 20.04

Post by scottgus1 »

ozstar wrote:Can you help me get the copy/paste working please?
We'll deal with this subject here. Please web-search making a shared folder in a Linux VM, starting with https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... redfolders, then start a new topic on the shared folders question if the manual does not get you going.
ozstar wrote:I have read where they say Guest additions but I do not have it on my VB
Guest Additions is required to be installed in the VM's OS for shared clipboard. See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... tadd-intro re "Shared clipboard".
See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq for prerequisites and install instructions

Official Virtualbox has the Guest Additions CD ISO bundled with Virtualbox, and the VM window's Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD Image menu command puts the "CD" in the VM's CD drive to be run in the VM OS. If you are requested to download Guest Additions during this procedure, you're using a Linux-Distro-forked Virtualbox that we don't support here: the distro can help you further.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Thank you for the help. It is appreciated.

The Guest iso is loaded, see below..
IDE Second Dev 0: [Optical Drive] VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.38.iso (60.93MB)
I am using Zorin 16.2 which is based on unbuntu 20.04 so I guess that is okay.

EDIT:

Well I have finally got then shared folder okay working but the Copy/Paste function still isn't.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ozstar wrote:The Guest iso is loaded, see below..

IDE Second Dev 0: [Optical Drive] VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.38.iso (60.93MB)
This means the "CD" is in the VM's drive. CD's can be in a drive, but you'd have to run the installer to actually have the benefit of the loaded CD.

And, after installing the Guest Additions, you should remove the "CD" from the VM.

Whether the GAs installed correctly can be seen with a vbox.log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
ozstar wrote:shared folder okay working but the Copy/Paste function still isn't.
Linux distros try to "help" by pre-loading old Guest Additions in the OS. Sometimes these old GAs work with new Virtualbox, sometimes they don't. The log will reveal.

Additionally, Wayland desktops have trouble with Virtualbox. Try an X11 desktop.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Thank you for the help.

The VB is working now and except for me not knowing Linux permissions too much, it is doing fine.
A great program just got to get my head around Linux.