Guru meditation on Autostart

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SenorClean

Guru meditation on Autostart

Post by SenorClean »

I'm running Virtualbox on an Ubuntu 22.04 host, and have 2 VMs (Ubuntu 22.04 and Windows Server 2016) that autostart.

I've recently upgraded from VBox 6.1 to 7.0.4 - the VMs booted fine following the upgrade, but if I reboot the system - they both end up in Guru Meditation.
If I kill the processes and boot the machines, they seem OK.
In the logs I see: VCPU0: Guru Meditation -37 (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)

Any ideas what is going on and how I might be able to solve it?
I also had this issue on the initial 7.0 release, and rolled back to 6.1 for a while.
Attachments
UbuntuServer-2022-11-24-12-29-50.zip
(43.78 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guru meditation on Autostart

Post by mpack »

I would attend to some of the basics, see if it helps:

You have plenty of RAM, so I'd increase VM RAM to 2GB and graphics RAM to 128MB.

I would also eject the Guest Additions CD, to stop the VM from trying to boot that.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

SenorClean wrote:Any ideas what is going on and how I might be able to solve it?
On your Linux host, probably another hypervisor (e.g. KVM) is already running. Keep it from running simultaneously with VirtualBox VMs.
SenorClean

Post by SenorClean »

fth0 wrote:
SenorClean wrote:Any ideas what is going on and how I might be able to solve it?
On your Linux host, probably another hypervisor (e.g. KVM) is already running. Keep it from running simultaneously with VirtualBox VMs.
Ahh - you're probably right, thanks. I did look at migrating to KVM a little while ago so have some of that stuff running - I'll tidy it up.

EDIT: So far, so good