Error when trying to install Expansion pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jave808

Error when trying to install Expansion pack

Post by jave808 »

Hi
The other day I installed Virtual Box 6.1.38 on a fresh install of Linux Mint 21.

But when I try to install the Expansion Pack v7.0.4, I get the following error:

Failed to load main module. VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Why is it failing?

Also, why can't the Expansion pack be integrated with the main VirtualBox install? I'm pretty sure everyone uses it. I don't get why we have to install an "extra" bit of code.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Error when trying to install Expansion pack

Post by multiOS »

Why would you attempt to install the 7.0.4 Expansion Pack in Version 6.1.38 of VirtualBox Application? The version numbers must match if you want a working installation.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

jave808 wrote:why can't the Expansion pack be integrated with the main VirtualBox install?
Different licensing. Virtualbox is open source code license, the EP is closed source license. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ And other folks can and have released their own EPs.
jave808

Post by jave808 »

multiOS wrote:Why would you attempt to install the 7.0.4 Expansion Pack in Version 6.1.38 of VirtualBox Application? The version numbers must match if you want a working installation.
Because I didn't know that the versions had to match. All good. I downloaded v6.1.38 Expansion Pack and it installed successfully. Thanks for your post.
jave808

Post by jave808 »

scottgus1 wrote:
jave808 wrote:why can't the Expansion pack be integrated with the main VirtualBox install?
Different licensing. Virtualbox is open source code license, the EP is closed source license. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ And other folks can and have released their own EPs.
Ok thanks. That makes sense