How to disable notification panel on the right? V. 7.0.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ben79

How to disable notification panel on the right? V. 7.0.2

Post by ben79 »

This is very irritating. There is a notification panel on the right side. I have not found any way to disable it. I would really, really, like to disable it. Am I missing something, is there a way to disable this?

https://imgur.com/a/5kauV5K

The panel on right hand side.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: How to disable notification panel on the right? V. 7.0.2

Post by fth0 »

In VirtualBox 7.0.2, there is no way to disable the Notification Center that I know of.
ben79

Post by ben79 »

Thanks for the reply.

That seems like an oversight or mistake. I hope VirtualBox devs change that soon.
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

ben79 wrote:This is very irritating. There is a notification panel on the right side. I have not found any way to disable it. I would really, really, like to disable it. Am I missing something, is there a way to disable this?

The panel on right hand side.
Run in CMD or Terminal:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegration,remindAboutAutoCapture
Or, edit VirtualBox.xml ({Location}: Linux: /home/YOUR_USER_HERE/.config/VirtualBox | Windows: C:\Users\YOUR_USER_HERE\.VirtualBox\):
note: change "YOUR_USER_HERE" with your user.

Add/edit this line:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SuppressMessages" value="confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegration,remindAboutAutoCapture"/>
note: between <ExtraData> and </ExtraData>

and delete these lines (if exists):

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/NotificationCenter/Alignment" value="Top"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/NotificationCenter/Order" value=""/>
Save the file!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

QAP_ wrote:Run in CMD or Terminal:

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegration,remindAboutAutoCapture
Running this command on my 7.0.4 Windows host did not suppress the right pop-put notification screen. Did you test this?
QAP_ wrote:Or, edit VirtualBox.xml
There is a big warning at the beginning of the file to not do what you're suggesting. Do you know why?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Suppressing messages can help somewhat to avoid the Notification Center in the VM's window, but the OP wanted to get rid of the Notification Center in the VirtualBox Manager.

Removing the Notification Center's extradata settings shouldn't do anything, because VirtualBox uses default values then.
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

scottgus1 wrote:
QAP_ wrote:Run in CMD or Terminal:

Running this command on my 7.0.4 Windows host did not suppress the right pop-put notification screen. Did you test this?
Yep, I tested it!
QAP_ wrote:Or, edit VirtualBox.xml
scottgus1 wrote:
QAP_ wrote:There is a big warning at the beginning of the file to not do what you're suggesting. Do you know why?
Yes, but my idea is create a workaround, while virtualbox doesn't create one for now, it should help.
Last edited by QAP_ on 12. Dec 2022, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

fth0 wrote:Suppressing messages can help somewhat to avoid the Notification Center in the VM's window, but the OP wanted to get rid of the Notification Center in the VirtualBox Manager.

Removing the Notification Center's extradata settings shouldn't do anything, because VirtualBox uses default values then.
It's a workaround. It's just that!
I never said it would remove everything.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

QAP_, Please post a screenshot of what you see (or don't see) when these commands are in place on your PC. They don't get rid of the right-side pop-up notifications in my Virtualbox 7.0.4 that ben79 wants to get rid of.
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

scottgus1 wrote:QAP_, Please post a screenshot of what you see (or don't see) when these commands are in place on your PC. They don't get rid of the right-side pop-up notifications in my Virtualbox 7.0.4 that ben79 wants to get rid of.
"You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls."
anyway, here's a defang urI.
(mod edit: link removed)
Last edited by scottgus1 on 12. Dec 2022, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed offsite link; please zip and use Upload Attachment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No URLs needed. Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

This is what Ben & others want to get rid of (see the red circled part):
Attachments
right-side notification bar.png
right-side notification bar.png (60.37 KiB) Viewed 25597 times
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

Ok.
Attachments
cmd_setextradata.png
cmd_setextradata.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 25596 times
cmd_getextradata.png
cmd_getextradata.png (89.73 KiB) Viewed 25596 times
Proof.png
Proof.png (111.09 KiB) Viewed 25596 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the pics. However, note the screenshot I posted of the main Virtualbox window, and the notification that we want to block. Does your command set disappear this right-side notification in the main Virtualbox window?
QAP_

Post by QAP_ »

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks for the pics. However, note the screenshot I posted of the main Virtualbox window, and the notification that we want to block. Does your command set disappear this right-side notification in the main Virtualbox window?
Well, when I click to boot a vm, it actually shows "Powering VM up...", after that it stays "hidden" (Windows 10.)
In Linux, as a host, only the icon appears, without the "Powering VM up..." and after that it stays "hidden".
print from a linux host:
Attachments
Linux_host.png
Linux_host.png (43.44 KiB) Viewed 25586 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, that's interesting!

In my tests on a Windows host, after taking the command off, I find there is actually two right-side popups: One in the main Virtualbox window, and one in the VM window. Your commands get rid of the common error messages that may show in the VM window that used to show as bubbles at the top of the VM window but now show in the VM window's right-side notification bar. When these error messages are commanded to not show, the VM window's right-side notification bar in the VM window does not show.

However, the right-side notification in the main Virtualbox window does not disappear, whether the commands are in place or not. It shows the "Powering Up the VM" regardless of the commands.

I don't have a Linux host to test.

So by suppressing messages that may show in the VM window's right-side notification bar via the commands, the right-side notification bar in the VM window does not show. If any messages not suppressed want to show, the right-side bar in the VM window will probably come back.

But, at least depending on host, the right-side notification bar in the main Virtualbox window does not get suppressed by the commands. Clicking the [!] button does not hide the notification bar in the main Virtualbox window in a Windows host.