How to disable notification panel on the right? V. 7.0.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
QAP_

Re: How to disable notification panel on the right? V. 7.0.2

Post by QAP_ »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, that's interesting!

In my tests on a Windows host, after taking the command off, I find there is actually two right-side popups: One in the main Virtualbox window, and one in the VM window. Your commands get rid of the common error messages that may show in the VM window that used to show as bubbles at the top of the VM window but now show in the VM window's right-side notification bar. When these error messages are commanded to not show, the VM window's right-side notification bar in the VM window does not show.

However, the right-side notification in the main Virtualbox window does not disappear, whether the commands are in place or not. It shows the "Powering Up the VM" regardless of the commands.

I don't have a Linux host to test.

So by suppressing messages that may show in the VM window's right-side notification bar via the commands, the right-side notification bar in the VM window does not show. If any messages not suppressed want to show, the right-side bar in the VM window will probably come back.

But, at least depending on host, the right-side notification bar in the main Virtualbox window does not get suppressed by the commands. Clicking the [!] button does not hide the notification bar in the main Virtualbox window in a Windows host.
Well, this is weird.
But like I said, it's a workaround, so we should wait for a native option from the developers. I can't guarantee the working of this solution in all scenarios unfortunately, I only tested it on personal windows 10 and linux as host.
nohal

Post by nohal »

Hello! I successfully disabled notifications in VirtualBox 7.0.4 using VBoxManage like that:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages remindAboutMouseIntegrationOff,remindAboutAutoCapture,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOn,remindAboutMouseIntegration
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thank you, nohal, for adding in. Your command:
nohal wrote:VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages remindAboutMouseIntegrationOff,remindAboutAutoCapture,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOn,remindAboutMouseIntegration
is similar to QAP_'s above:
QAP_ wrote:VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegration,remindAboutAutoCapture
These commands suppress the popup warnings that appear in the VM window itself (These used to be individual floating balloons in 6.1 & earlier, they're on the slide-out panel in 7.0). They don't suppress warnings that are not specified, so if such an unspecified warning appears you'll get the slide-out again.

And none of these suppresses the slide-out panel in the main Virtualbox window.
Mordachai

Post by Mordachai »

Just wanted to say +1

This sucks!!!

Nobody wants this crud intruding into their vm.
I care a lot less about the manager interface having it - but I care a great deal about it wasting visual realestate in my vm.

Some way to totally jettison this abomination of a "feature" would be very welcome indeed.
joeden

Post by joeden »

ben79 wrote:This is very irritating. There is a notification panel on the right side. I have not found any way to disable it. I would really, really, like to disable it. Am I missing something, is there a way to disable this?

The panel on right hand side.
Mordachai wrote:Just wanted to say +1

This sucks!!!

Nobody wants this crud intruding into their vm.
I care a lot less about the manager interface having it - but I care a great deal about it wasting visual realestate in my vm.

Some way to totally jettison this abomination of a "feature" would be very welcome indeed.
v 7.0.4 user here.
can't agree you more!
in my opinion the notification idea supposed to be form of a watermarked button that can be expanded with useful information whenever we click it. not to abuse the visual experience of user.
hope they fix it with better idea soon.
diegosilvajd

Post by diegosilvajd »

I'm also having the exact same problem with 7.0.6 r155176
Host Machine: Arch Linux 6.1.9-arch1-2

The uncomfortable notification bar start appearing after I updated VirtualBox. The previous version that I had, used to show these notifications in a separate window, only when explicitly asked (i.e. clicking at the icon).
In my case, it does not interfere with the VM itself, but it's really uncomfortable to have a box in front of your VM screen without asking for that. It should appear only when explicitly called via the icon.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Going to lock this because the me-too-ers are wasting their fire here. We on the forum have no control over Virtualbox code.

An enhancement request for a method to supress either or both pop-out panels will go best on the Bugtracker.