USB enumeration error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
keithsplace

USB enumeration error

Post by keithsplace »

Upgraded to Ver. 7.0 on Linux Mint 21 host.
I get this message in the VB window when ever it's started now.
USB enumeration.
VM's seem to work fine, just no USB on anything.
Also noticing that on just my Windows 11 VM that it keeps going back to pre Activation.
I installed it, updated it, then activated it, now it starts up every time like it was just started the first time, not activated.

Code: Select all

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X00004005)
Component:
HostWrap
Interface:
IHost {e54f6256-97a7-4947-8a78-10c013ddf4b8}
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB enumeration error

Post by scottgus1 »

Was there more to that error message? There almost if not definitely always is.
Aqualung
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7 x64

Post by Aqualung »

Same thing here. There's also an explanation--see attachment. Very cryptic: not sure what user to add to what group? Is "vboxusers" a Linux group?

Edit: tried https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... -vboxusers, still not working.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-13 17-43-09.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-13 17-43-09.png (82.38 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Last edited by Aqualung on 14. Nov 2022, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@Aqualung,

The VirtualBox User Manual referred to in the message tells you what to do (in Section 2.3.4); and 'yes' the action needs to be taken using Terminal in your Linux Guest VM.
Aqualung

Post by Aqualung »

multiOS wrote:@Aqualung,

The VirtualBox User Manual referred to in the message tells you what to do (in Section 2.3.4); and 'yes' the action needs to be taken using Terminal in your Linux Guest VM.
Thanks. I think you mean "... in your Linux Host." Anyway, I did that, and I also checked, and my user is, indeed, a member of "vboxusers," yet I still can't see any USB devices.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Linux not finding USB devices despite everything set up correctly
missing file in host OS:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103014&p=500584#p500584
VB not installed properly:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103101&p=501132#p501075
Aqualung

Post by Aqualung »

scottgus1 wrote:Linux not finding USB devices despite everything set up correctly
missing file in host OS:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103014&p=500584#p500584
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103101&p=501132#p501075
Thank you. At this point I am tempted to account for this failure by the fact that I am running Kinetic, and VirtualBox seems to not be compatible with Kinetic as yet.
duck

Post by duck »

Aqualung wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:Linux not finding USB devices despite everything set up correctly
missing file in host OS:

Thank you. At this point I am tempted to account for this failure by the fact that I am running Kinetic, and VirtualBox seems to not be compatible with Kinetic as yet.
I got the same error in Fedora 37. Downgraded to the 6.1.40 and .38, and those both work fine.
chrisnd

Post by chrisnd »

Aqualung wrote:
multiOS wrote:@Aqualung,

Thanks. I think you mean "... in your Linux Host." Anyway, I did that, and I also checked, and my user is, indeed, a member of "vboxusers," yet I still can't see any USB devices.
I had the same problem on Ubuntu 22.04. After running the command ('sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <username>') it is necessary to do a complete reboot of the whole machine for it to be implemented.
(It does not help that the error message directed me to a different section of the user manual 12.7.5 - which gives even less information that the error message. Maybe this needs updating/clarifying?)
Doing this got rid of the error. Hovering the mouse over the USB icon showed that my Win-32 installation was recognising the correct USB stick. Win-32 then 'pinged' and told me the device was not recognised - but at least I've now moved forward a little! Maybe this is just a windows driver problem now?

However, I also simultaneously noticed that Linux no longer acknowledged the USB stick. So, I thought I'd change USB stick and try with the screen emphasis now on Linux. This showed up fine in Linux but not in Windows. That sort of makes sense - not being able to access the same stick from two different OS's. On the other hand, I'm doing that for my HDD - so I'm not quite sure if this is the expected/correct behaviour?

Chris