NS_ERROR_FAILUREs occur when starting virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
diamond82908

NS_ERROR_FAILUREs occur when starting virtual machine

Post by diamond82908 »

Virtualbox Version: 7.0.2 r154219
Host: Archlinux x86_64, with kernel 6.0.6-arch1-1
Error Message:
"Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {300763af-5d6b-46e6-aa96-273eac15538a}"\

Virtualbox ran well when I was using an AMD CPU. However, since I switched to an Intel CPU and a motherboard for Intel's, something goes wrong. I've searched on the Internet and read FAQs, but it doesn't help.
More details:
I'm sure that I've enabled VT-x.
Hardware is probably alright.
On the same computer, for windows host, virtualbox runs well.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILUREs occur when starting virtual machine

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Note that the server is currently having storage space problems and had been refusing local attachments, so for this weekend only: if that happens to you and you can provide an offsite link to the zipped log then please do so.
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Note that the server is currently having storage space problems and had been refusing local attachments, so for this weekend only: if that happens to you and you can provide an offsite link to the zipped log then please do so.
Could you provide me with where the VM log file is stored please? I can't access VM log file in your way. Because of the issue, I can't shut the VM down normally. I have to terminate it by killing its process and after doing that VB can't be launched again without rebooting the host. But it seems that log is deleted automatically when I reboot.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The only time VirtualBox deletes logs automatically is when they are older than 4 sessions back.

Unfortunately, no - I can't tell you how to find the log file in a Linux host without using the UI, since I'm not a Linux user.
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

mpack wrote:The only time VirtualBox deletes logs automatically is when they are older than 4 sessions back.

Unfortunately, no - I can't tell you how to find the log file in a Linux host without using the UI, since I'm not a Linux user.
Fortunately, I found the way to access that file myself. How do I share it with you? I'm in china and can't use dropbox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Normally a zip file of the log can be posted through the forum's Upload Attachment tab. If you get an error "Forum attachment quota has been reached" then copy the whole text of the log onto the forum textbox between

Code: Select all

tags.
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

Here you are. :D
Attachments
VBox.zip
zipped log file
(974 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox crashed off very early in running this VM; that log was only 27 lines long.

There should have been more to that error before the part posted in the first post. Can you please post the whole error message? There should be a Copy button to allow the error message to be pasted in full to the forum.
diamond82908 wrote:Virtualbox ran well when I was using an AMD CPU. However, since I switched to an Intel CPU and a motherboard for Intel's, something goes wrong.
Did you reinstall the host OS and Virtualbox after this change?
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox crashed off very early in running this VM; that log was only 27 lines long.

There should have been more to that error before the part posted in the first post. Can you please post the whole error message? There should be a Copy button to allow the error message to be pasted in full to the forum.
diamond82908 wrote:Virtualbox ran well when I was using an AMD CPU. However, since I switched to an Intel CPU and a motherboard for Intel's, something goes wrong.
Did you reinstall the host OS and Virtualbox after this change?
Actually I manually terminated Virtualbox to get this log. But there is no way else to shut VM down. The VM keeps not responding after I boot it. It seems no matter when I shut VM down the log will turn out to show the same thing.
Indeed, there is a error message. I've already pasted it in the post.
I did reinstall the host OS and Virtualbox but it doesn't work.
Honestly I might not follow the post guide as I got Virtualbox from archlinux repository. I thought its staffs hadn't modify the code of VB but I changed my mind since virtualbox ran well on the same machine for a debian host. I'm not sure about what really cause this problem but I think I must ask how to test whether VB is modified or not by checksum...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

diamond82908 wrote:Indeed, there is a error message. I've already pasted it in the post.
Yes, I saw that. Thus:
scottgus1 wrote:There should have been more to that error before the part posted in the first post.
It's very rare if at all there is no more explanation of the error by Virtualbox.

This sort of thing is common to all Virtualbox error messages:
diamond82908 wrote:"Result Code:
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {some sort of UUID that has no relation to the VM}"\
There's more before this. Thus:
scottgus1 wrote:Can you please post the whole error message?
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

scottgus1 wrote:
diamond82908 wrote:Indeed, there is a error message. I've already pasted it in the post.
Yes, I saw that. Thus:
scottgus1 wrote:There should have been more to that error before the part posted in the first post.
It's very rare if at all there is no more explanation of the error by Virtualbox.

This sort of thing is common to all Virtualbox error messages:
diamond82908 wrote:"Result Code:
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {some sort of UUID that has no relation to the VM}"\
There's more before this. Thus:
scottgus1 wrote:Can you please post the whole error message?
I can't. There will be a "copy" in the droplist when I right click the Message, but it is grey and I can't use it. (maybe I haven't found the correct method. Can I find how to copy error message in the forum?)
But I found that Virtualbox always told it can't emulate USB devices before failing to boot vms and suggested to add myself into the "vboxusers" group but I had already been in that group.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

diamond82908 wrote:There will be a "copy" in the droplist
There's also a Copy button that copies the text.

Or just type the message out......
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:There's also a Copy button that copies the text.
So far, I've only seen the error dialog with the Copy button from Windows hosts. I'm not sure how it would look like on a Linux host ...
diamond82908

Post by diamond82908 »

fth0 wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:There's also a Copy button that copies the text.
So far, I've only seen the error dialog with the Copy button from Windows hosts. I'm not sure how it would look like on a Linux host ...
Yes there is no Copy button from my Linux host. And the whole error message is like

Code: Select all

Powering VM up ...
VM Name: name

The VM session was aborted. (I have to do this because there is no way else to turn off the vm after booting it)

(the rest parts of the message, which have already been pasted in the post.)
It seems Virtualbox seizes while it is processing something...
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Ok. The next step would be to reproduce the issue and to look at ~/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log and the system log file(s) of your host OS.