USB access lost on all clients

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Gary S

USB access lost on all clients

Post by Gary S »

About a month ago I set up VirtualBox on my Centos 7 laptop, installed a Windows 10 client, and used that to run iTunes and Inspect to allow me to connect an IPad via USB and remote debug web apps in Safari.

I installed from VirtualBox-6.1-6.1.38_153438_el7-1.x86_64.rpm

Everything just worked and I was amazed.

A week or two back I was informed that there was an update. I upgraded to VirtualBox-6.1-6.1.40_154048_el7-1.x86_64.rpm

The first time I started my client after the upgrade, I got an error message saying that the USB option I had selected was invalid. I can't remember the option was, but it was USB 2 something.
When I checked the options, this was no longer available, and the only option available was USB 1.1 OHCI. I chose this option as there was no alternative.
Now, no matter what I do, the client never sees the USB device get plugged in. The IPad beeps as though it recognises being plugged it, but does it about 5 times in quick succession.

I tried uninstalling everything, and re-installing the original version but it made no difference.

I also have Centos 7, Ubuntu, and Rocking clients. They also do not see USB devices.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do to sort it?
Gary S

Re: USB access lost on all clients

Post by Gary S »

I have just re-displayed the menu bar at the bottom of the window (I had it in full screen mode and couldn't see it before).

When the tablet beeps repeatedly as though it's connecting, the USB icon in the menu bar flashes a red dot in time to the beeps.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

With 6.1.x you must remember to install the Extension Pack (a host plugin pack) when you update the software. The EP contains the USB2/USB3 code and only works with one VirtualBox version.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

mpack wrote:With 6.1.x you must remember to install the Extension Pack (a host plugin pack) when you update the software. The EP contains the USB2/USB3 code and only works with one VirtualBox version.
Thank you for responding. I believe I had already done that, although I wasn't aware that it would affect the USB. I have just re-installed, making sure that the addon pack version matched the VB version.

The client still behaves as before. When I right click the USB icon on the menu bar and tick the IPad, I get 7 x beep on the IPad and matching red dot on the USB icon on the task bar. If I then untick the IPad on the USB icon I get a single beep on the IPad as though it is disconnecting properly
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

mpack wrote:Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
I performed the following steps to create the vbox.log file:
  • Booted Win10
  • Connected an IPad which did the 7 beeps as before,
  • Disconnected the IPad.
  • Connected an Android tablet, which did nothing
  • DIsconnected the tablet
  • Shut down Win10
  • Saved the log.
Attachments
win10-vbox-log.zip
zipped vbox.log
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I suspected, you did not install the Extension Pack.
00:00:01.029651 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:01.029662 None installed!
Please note that the Extension Pack provides extended features for the HOST SOFTWARE and is completely unrelated to the GUEST Additions. Read section 1.5 of the user manual.

Also note that a Win10 guest will run much better with 2 cores (not more or less). You should also consider enabling 3D graphics acceleration - it should make all graphics smoother, provided you have a capable graphics card on the host.