VDI File VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mattig89ch
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows7x64, Win 98SE, Android, WinXP

VDI File VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by mattig89ch »

Hello All,

I have a VDI Image from an old XP hard drive I just created qemu-img. But Every time I try to add it on the virtual media manager I'm getting the below error:

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/mnt/496fbae4-b803-4a54-9434-7692dd96eab9/QemuDiskImage/Maxtor40GBWinXp.vdi' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)

Component: MediumWrap

Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}

Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}

Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. Are there any suggestions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VDI File VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by scottgus1 »

mattig89ch wrote:Could not get the storage format of the medium
This means the .vdi is not a .vdi. It is another kind of file that has been renamed. Renaming a file does not change the format of the file.
mattig89ch wrote:I have a VDI Image from an old XP hard drive I just created qemu-img
Can you explain please how you did this? I would know how to make a disk image from a hard drive on Windows hosts, but doing so on a Linux host would have to be left to the Linux gurus here.

You'll also run into a 0x7B BSOD condition once you get the XP drive properly imaged, due to the disk controller having changed. Please see How to migrate existing Windows installations to VirtualBox, especially regarding MergeIDE. There is also a Linux-y way to make the image in a way Virtualbox will understand.
mattig89ch

Post by mattig89ch »

scottgus1 wrote:
mattig89ch wrote:Could not get the storage format of the medium
This means the .vdi is not a .vdi. It is another kind of file that has been renamed. Renaming a file does not change the format of the file.
mattig89ch wrote:I have a VDI Image from an old XP hard drive I just created qemu-img
Can you explain please how you did this? I would know how to make a disk image from a hard drive on Windows hosts, but doing so on a Linux host would have to be left to the Linux gurus here.
Sure, I ran the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo qemu-img convert -p /dev/sdb1 /mnt/496fbae4-b803-4a54-9434-7692dd96eab9/QemuDiskImage/Maxtor40GBWinXp.vdi
scottgus1 wrote:You'll also run into a 0x7B BSOD condition once you get the XP drive properly imaged, due to the disk controller having changed. Please see How to migrate existing Windows installations to VirtualBox, especially regarding MergeIDE. There is also a Linux-y way to make the image in a way Virtualbox will understand.
I'll take a look, thanks! My issue is I couldn't pass through the drive to a windows VM, and I don't have any windows machines anymore. So anything I do, has to be done in Linux. Heck, the machine this drive is from doesn't even post anymore. Soon as I can get this sucker running in a vm, I'm going to junk the whole thing.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You must tell qemu-img that you want another output format than raw (e.g. -O vdi). ;)
mattig89ch

Post by mattig89ch »

isn't that what ending the file type in the .vdi does?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Nope. All that affects is the file name, not the file content.

Yes, software could possibly change it's behaviour depending on what file extension you choose - but that's really a Windows thing. Linux generally doesn't care about file name extensions, in fact it doesn't really even have the concept. A "." is just a permitted character like any other, so as long as you don't give a file a name that conflicts with an existing object then the shell doesn't really care what the filename is.
mattig89ch

Post by mattig89ch »

Whelp, now the drive isn't mounting. So I can't go back and try it again. Gotta work with what I have.