Can't start windows VM - black screen only

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
twagner

Can't start windows VM - black screen only

Post by twagner »

Hi,

I'm using the latest virtual box (6.1.38_Ubuntu r153438) version on kubuntu 20.04 and can't start my window 10 virtual machine. I only see a black screen when I try to start it and get not very informative error message in the log:

Code: Select all

00:01:03.501358 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37
Somehow attaching the log file does not work and I'm not allowed to post urls... so here a little hack (just add ht tps)

owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/imSq7KoGhGzgSNK

I would be happy to hear what might be the issue.

Best,
Thorsten
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't start windows VM - black screen only

Post by mpack »

That is not an error message - we all have that. It just means that the preview thumbnail in the manager couldn't be updated - basically because the guest was still booting up.

Zipped logs attach just fine. We prefer not to visit third party sites without good reason.
twagner

Post by twagner »

Hi, thanks for your answer. Attached the zipped log file.

Best,
Thorsten
Attachments
VBox.zip
logfile
(207.06 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Try uninstalling the extension pack. 6.1.38 has a problem with USB related crashes or hangs in the extension pack on Linux hosts. Alternatively, try just disabling the USB features in the VM settings. Unfortunately you don't really have the usual remedy of falling back to a previous VirtualBox version, because you need recent VirtualBox to support the newest Linux host kernels.

Speaking of which, you are not in fact using VirtualBox, you are using a third party build from the open sources. You should go to the Ubuntu forums for support, or install the official version we support here.
twagner

Post by twagner »

Disabling USB I already tried and did not help. I will try the official version and come back here.
twagner

Post by twagner »

Same behavior with the official version
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

When did this VM last work on this host? What has changed on the host since then?

And we seem to be missing a zipped log from the official version.
twagner

Post by twagner »

Attached the the log file.

So, it was working maybe 5 months ago (idk the VB version at this time, sorry). Then I didnt needed it for some time and we changed the harddrive and updated ubuntu to 20.04. All home content was the copied to the new hard drive. Furthermore we added new RAM into the machine since then. Then I noticed recently that the VM does not work anymore and we updated to the latest VB version. Now I'm writing with you :-)
Attachments
VBox_1.zip
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That's quite a lot of manipulation of the host since the VM last worked.

But, I'm not seeing much more that can be wrong, though I do have two suggestions:

1. As a test, trying disabling 3D acceleration. This is because the last thing I see in the log before the guest seems to lock up is what seems to be an initialization of the graphics subsystem. If it boots then it perhaps implies a broken host driver.

2. This may be nothing to do with VirtualBox. We need to consider the possibility that the damage is inside the guest. To that end I would suggest backing up the VM and then booting it from a repair/install DVD, and try fixing the boot info.
twagner

Post by twagner »

Disabling 3D accl didnt helped either.

I think I will simply setup a new VM.

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Thorsten