Missing Snapshot, CloneVDI not working with VMDK file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SysB

Missing Snapshot, CloneVDI not working with VMDK file

Post by SysB »

I have been tasked with trying to recover a VM. The person who originally setup and managed it has moved on and is unavailable. The VM had been working fine. After the last reboot of the VM server, the VM came up as "inaccessible".

VirtualBox 6.1 is running on a linux (Ubuntu) host.
VM is also Ubuntu. Unable to load VM so cannot verify there are no extensions. It looks like guests additions are installed or, at least the "DVD" is loaded.

The VM shows as "inaccessible" with the following error:
A differencing image of snapshot {a70001a1-9462-446c-a6ef-c595e58a94b2} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {b606e445-c84e-4e97-9ed8-2a11dddf7075}.
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
SnapshotMachine
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
I do not see the snapshot named "a7000..." in the snapshots folder. After doing some research, I came across CloneVDI. I'll add here that the VM uses a .vmdk file. When I pointed CloneVDI (v4.01) to the .vmdk file I received an error message in the Validation results window "Invalid VMDK disk descriptor". I researched this further and was unable to resolve the issue. But, noted that previously on this forum, a request to provide the .vmdk to assist in troubleshooting.

When I execute VBoxManage list hdds, the VM's hd is not listed. And, I am unable to locate the snapshot referenced in the error message shown in the UI when selected the VM. This means I've also not been successful in reviewing the UUID of the snapshots with VBoxManage showhdinfo. Without the referenced snapshot, is there a way to go back to a previous snapshot? Thanks!

I'm attaching the following:
  • VMDK File
    VBox.log
    VM snapshots
Attachments
VBox.log
(107.97 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
snapshotsdir.txt
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
SDD 2.0 PostgreSQL.vmdk.txt
(898 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Missing Snapshot, CloneVDI not working with VMDK file

Post by scottgus1 »

It appears that neither UUID file is in the directory list. Are you sure you got the correct folder?

The VM is expecting files that have disappeared. Gotta get into your backups and put 'em back.

After the files are back and the VM is running again, you need to delete some of those snapshots. As you can see, snapshots make a VM delicate.
SysB

Post by SysB »

Unfortunately, I'm sure I'm in the correct folder. The backups folder does not contain them either. Very strange!

Is there a way to use an older snapshot?

In researching this issue and getting an understanding of how the previous person managed the VM server, I can see we'll need to change things a bit! I found another thread that talks about the proper way to make backups. I'll be working on that issue too.

Appreciate the response!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

SysB wrote:When I pointed CloneVDI (v4.01) to the .vmdk file I received an error message in the Validation results window "Invalid VMDK disk descriptor".
Clone VDI is able to take a complete chain of snapshot files and make a single-file 'flattened' clone of the file. The chain needs to be complete, though. As for the 'invalid' error, it could be that some host disk errors have happened and damaged one of the files in the chain. You could try different snapshots in the chain, newest to oldest, to see if an error stops happening.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

SysB wrote:Is there a way to use an older snapshot?
If you're lucky, by editing the VM configuration file by hand. Please provide a zip file containing SDD 2.0 PostgreSQL.vbox and SDD 2.0 PostgreSQL.vbox-prev, and I'll have a look ...
SysB

Post by SysB »

scottgus1 wrote: You could try different snapshots in the chain, newest to oldest, to see if an error stops happening.
I will give this a shot, thanks.
SysB

Post by SysB »

fth0 wrote:
SysB wrote:Is there a way to use an older snapshot?
If you're lucky, by editing the VM configuration file by hand. Please provide a zip file containing SDD 2.0 PostgreSQL.vbox and SDD 2.0 PostgreSQL.vbox-prev, and I'll have a look ...
Thank you. I had reviewed these files earlier and the only difference between them was that the -prev file had " stateFile="Snapshots/2022-09-10T04-00-03-523212000Z.sav" " added to "Machine uuid=...". File was identical otherwise. As I've learned today, the .sav file only machine state. I did try using -prev, but, same behavior.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

SysB wrote:I had reviewed these files earlier and the only difference between them [...]
Yes, and I'd expect both files to be "wrong". My idea was to adapt one of the files so that it could perhaps be used with the available virtual disk images, which can be done by people knowing the .vbox format details. ;)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The VMDK descriptor shows an extent type "VMFS", indicating an ESX disk. CloneVDI doesn't support VMFS/ESX disks. I'm surprised VirtualBox does.