uninstall extension

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
celeste

uninstall extension

Post by celeste »

I use version 6.1.38 on windows 10 as a host and it worked fine until I installed the extension for a linux virtual machine.

Since then the other machines with other versions of windows are displayed extremely large and there is no configuration to put it to size as it was before.

how can i uninstall this extension?

Thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: uninstall extension

Post by mpack »

If Windows 10 is your host, then why post in the "Linux Hosts" forum?

Also, the extension pack is installed on the host, so your statement that you installed it "for a linux virtual machine" doesn't really make sense. It leaves me thinking that you are confusing the Extension Pack feature (see user manual section 1.5) with the entirely unrelated Guest Additions feature (UM chapter 4).

So please clarify. Your question can't be answered until we know what it really is.

Many of these doubts would be settled by a VM log. Pick a VM, make sure it is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
celeste

Post by celeste »

Yes, I apologize for the wrong place. I realized it when I searched the post to see if I had any answer.

What I meant by that I installed the extension for the virtual machine in Linux, is that I did it with the intention that it would work on that machine without affecting the rest but it is seen that it affects all of them and has damaged them.

That is why I was simply asking how to uninstall the extension to know if it solves the problem it caused in the other Windows machines.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

celeste wrote:installed the extension for the virtual machine in Linux
Please note this does not answer Mpack's question:
mpack wrote:It leaves me thinking that you are confusing the Extension Pack feature (see user manual section 1.5) with the entirely unrelated Guest Additions feature (UM chapter 4).

So please clarify. Your question can't be answered until we know what it really is.
Did you install the Extension Pack or the Guest Additions in the Linux VM?

Also, please post a screenshot showing this interference with other VMs. Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
celeste

Post by celeste »

I am not getting confused. I installed the extensions for the corresponding version, 6.1.38. Not the GuestAdditions.

I took a screenshot of the desktop of the virtual machine with Windows 7 but when I look at it I can't see the size of the icons and it would seem that everything is fine. That's why I don't attach it.

It is similar to how the desktop looks before the display driver runs, all very large. That's the problem and it happened after installing the extension on the Linux machine and that's why I thought it could be reversed by uninstalling the extension.

Is it possible to do that?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No more unsupported assertions please. We need to see that zipped VM log as requested in the first reply.