Dynamic public IP passed to guest using DHCP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Turkamure

Dynamic public IP passed to guest using DHCP

Post by Turkamure »

Ubuntu 22 host
pfsense/untangle guest

PC has two nics, intend to use one to bring in public ip to vm for pfsense/untangle etc.., second for lan. The problem is that the vm cannot see the dhcp public ip, no ip is assigned. On the host the wan nic card is set to bridged and I have tried assigning it various ips on the host, 10.10.10.10, 0.0.0.0, so that it does not take the only public ip I have. is it possible to pass the dhcp public ip to the guest from a host nic card? I have done this before, but some update a few years ago has prevented this from working now.

if I set the wan nic to Automatic(DHCP), I do get internet fine on my host. I set it to manual for this test.

I have used a usb nic card with untangle successfully, but the one I have is not working right with pfsense(very slow internet, seems like its stuck on usb 1.1 even though it says its a gig connection). I would prefer not to use a usb nic.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Dynamic public IP passed to guest using DHCP

Post by scottgus1 »

Turkamure wrote:vm for pfsense
Turkamure wrote:a usb nic card ... with pfsense(very slow internet, seems like its stuck on usb 1.1
I can't speak to the public IP address question, as I've never brought a public IP to a PC, I've always gone through a router. But the slow USB in the VM may be because the matching Virtualbox Extension Pack is not installed. The EP provides USB 2 & 3.