VMSetError: VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, re

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nocom

VMSetError: VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, re

Post by nocom »

Since some time I cannot start any machine any more. I decided to completely erase virtualbox including the configs, not the machines, and reinstalle again. Version 6.1.38 with ditto guest additions and the extension pack on Ubuntu 22.04 with Gnome.

I created a new machine with the Ubuntu 22.04 image and it did not start with the same error I had with my existing machines earlier:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu-mate-22.04.
VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I found a post on this forum and as a result I checked whether AMD virtualization was enabled in my BIOS: it was. I tried with nested VT-x/AMD-V enabled and disabled. No changes.Imported existing machines did not run either, whether it was an ubuntu or a windows guest. I am not sure what side-effects will pop-up when I recompile the kernel with kvm kernel extension disabled.

I don't understand the message. Does the message VERR_SVM_IN_USE refer to other virtualization software like docker (which I use)?

Anybody any advice?
Attachments
ubuntu-mate-22.04-2022-09-16-15-31-38.log
(98.44 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VMSetError: VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension

Post by mpack »

Is the quoted text not perfectly clear?

You can't have two bits of software using your AMD processor's hardware virtualization feature (SVM aka AMD-v) at the same time. Similar to how only one app at a time can use the serial port.

In your case you have KVM enabled - probably in the kernel if you didn't explicit run another VM app. KVM is using SVM and this prevents VirtualBox from running because it also needs SVM.

Obvious the feature must be enabled in the BIOS otherwise neither bit of software could be using it.
PunitArya

Re: VMSetError: VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, re

Post by PunitArya »

In my case (Kubuntu 22.04), I had to stop the docker-desktop service. That fixed it