Failed to install and run virtualbox Fedora 36 vboxdrv module not loaded.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rupeshforu3

Failed to install and run virtualbox Fedora 36 vboxdrv module not loaded.

Post by rupeshforu3 »

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a pc with Intel i3 10th gen processor and asus prime h 510 me motherboard and I have installed Fedora 36 and I have tried to run windows notepad++ using wine and failed and after that I have tried to install virtualbox and again failed to install.

After that I have tried to install virtualbox from Fedora 36 repositories and succeeded but when I try to launch virtualbox app it is loading perfectly but when I try to create windows xp 64 virtual machine and start it it is showing error as vboxdrv is not loaded. After that I searched web and found that vboxdrv kernel module is not compiled or created.

Previously I mean 7 years back I have succeeded running wine and virtualbox and even VMware workstation without any errors but I can't now.

Kindly try to suggest how to suggest how to run virtualbox on Fedora 36.

Regards,
Rupesh.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to install and run virtualbox Fedora 36 vboxdrv module not loaded.

Post by mpack »

One note: do not create an XP-64bit VM. Your XP install is almost certainly 32 bits, and does not become 64 bits simply by virtue of being installed on a 64 bit host. For almost everyone, XP is 32bits.

Other than that, please choose a VM and provide a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
rupeshforu3

Post by rupeshforu3 »

Hi here the issue is I am unable to run any virtual machine not only windows.

Here the issue is as my system is uefi based and so the virtualbox installer failed to create kernel module.

I have disabled secure boot in bios and after that I have launched virtualbox and this time I am able to run windows virtual machine without any errors.

But when I enable secure boot in bios and after restarting and launching virtualbox it's showing same error.
rupeshforu3

Post by rupeshforu3 »

Thanks for your suggestions and the issue of virtualbox has been resolved by following the procedure of /usr/share/doc/akmods/readme.secureboot.