NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) in Windows 10 VM when saving

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
davoura
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: various linux distros and Windows versions

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) in Windows 10 VM when saving

Post by davoura »

I am getting an error NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) in a Windows 10 virtual machine when saving, i.e. not closing down Windows, so I can go back to Windows in the virtual machine just as I left it.

This error has been showing for the past week or so, it used to work properly.

I have had a similar error with some other virtual machines, but no longer since I updated Virtual Box, just the error with Windows 10.

My host system is Ubuntu Studio 22.04

I was using VB 6.1.34 but then uninstalled and installed 6.1.38 downloaded directly from the official site, and installed the latest Extension Pack for 6.1.38

I have added myself to the vboxusers group (sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER).

I also ran sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
but that changed nothing, the error still occurs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) in Windows 10 VM when saving

Post by scottgus1 »

The NS error code is super-basic, and there should be a lot more message with the error. Please use the error box's Copy button to copy/paste the full error message onto the forum.
davoura

Post by davoura »

The full error message:

Failed to save the state of the virtual machine Windows 10 Pro64 Use This - Adobe CC - 18 GB RAM.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A google on failing to save state shows a couple possible reasons: insufficient host disk space, or something shown in the VM log.

Check host disk space. Otherwise, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
davoura

Post by davoura »

I just checked the free disk space. I know it was okay recently, about 30 GB or so. But today it is down to 824 MB, so maybe it is that. I shall have to purge some old virtual machines again.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you use regularly snapshots with saved states of VMs with large RAM then be aware that this gobbles up disk space fast, and is not a backup.
davoura

Post by davoura »

Yes, I think Windows is using more disk space than before.

However, I then realised I could use the Virtual Media Manager within VirtualBox to move some large VDI files of other VMs into a separate partition, to give the Windows VM more space. Now having 45 GB free space where most of my VMs are saved, I can save the Windows VM without any errors.

Thank you for your help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

davoura wrote: However, I then realised I could use the Virtual Media Manager within VirtualBox to move some large VDI files of other VMs into a separate partition, to give the Windows VM more space.
You should not move the bare VDI. Move the entire VM. If you scatter files around the place it makes backups hard and mixups easy.