endeavourOS guest followed by mxlinux guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

endeavourOS guest followed by mxlinux guest

Post by lpmanjaro »

one ssd, 4 linux distros installed.
First install is Manjaro and is the host of virtualbox.
second install (part 4) is endeavour OS. (Arch based)
Third install (Part5) is Mxlinux. (Debian based)
Forth install (Part 6) is Zorin. (Ubuntu based)

They all boot native via microcode setting.

I want to be able to run Endeavour and Mxlinux and Zorin as guests on virtualbox runing on Manjaro as host.
I don't want either of the 3 Linux's to have access to any of the other linuxes so built vmdk files for Vbox as follows.
sudo vboxmanage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename 'linuxname'.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2,# (Where pound is the number of the specified linux on sda. 2 is the efi partition)

Problem is only the last installed distro will boot virtually.

When attempting to start the either of the 2 guest distros grub stops at a grub prompt and when I do a "set" command the parms are all pointing at the last
and unavailable distro partitions so failure is "for sure".
If I create a vmdk file that does NOT include the -partitions parm, I can get to the other distros to start as guests. But that dosen't isolate one distro from the other.

The other issue is, if I install Zorin (Ubuntu based) Endeavour (Arch based) hangs with a blank screen. (I think this is a known problem with the grub.cfg the ubuntu builds for a arch based distro.)

Any ideas on how to get vbox to boot all three ? (Not nessesarily all at the same time.)
Last edited by lpmanjaro on 9. Sep 2022, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
lpmanjaro

Re: endeavourOS guest followed by mxlinux guest

Post by lpmanjaro »

Forgot to mention windows is installed on a physically different ssd.