Windows 10 VM on Mint - can login but no icons

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bobmorning

Windows 10 VM on Mint - can login but no icons

Post by bobmorning »

I built a Windows 10 VM using vdi image of the original Windows 10 PC that had dual monitors (I mention the dual monitors as i think is part of the problem).

Creating the VM went without a hitch. Win10 boots, I can login, and I'm presented with my custom desktop background;.....But that is all I get, no icons, no taskbar. The VM is responsive as I can Host Key a control-alt-delete and get the standard menu option window of Lock Screen, Reboot, Task Manager, etc.

I think what I am seeing is the second monitor not the first that was the primary display? Does that make sense? How do I switch to the primary VM display?

I can right click on the Win10 desktop and get the standard context sensitive menu regarding personalizing your desktop, etc. I can even log out and back in.

Any thoughts on this? Useless if I can get the start menu to display or see any icons.

Thanks for any info.
Bob
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 VM on Mint - can login but no icons

Post by scottgus1 »

bobmorning wrote:I can right click on the Win10 desktop and get the standard context sensitive menu regarding personalizing your desktop, etc.
There should be a Display Settings command there, too, where you can disable the second monitor in the VM OS.
bobmorning

Post by bobmorning »

Unfortunately, the setting menu item is there but when I click on it I believe it is opening on the "other" non-existent screen.

I'm going to remove the second monitor, reconfigure the Windows 10 PC to use one monitor, redo the disk2vhd process, and attempt to recreate a new VM with the resulting vhd file.

I'll post back what happens. Is there a better way?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

bobmorning wrote:Is there a better way?
Try adding a second virtual monitor to the VM? If you use them in normal (windowed) mode, you can show both windows on one physical monitor.
bobmorning

Post by bobmorning »

I physically reconfigured the machine with only one monitor, reran the disk2vdi program, imported the vdh file into VB. Everything worked.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.