Huge RAM overhead needed to hibernate host with running VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
HulkySulky

Huge RAM overhead needed to hibernate host with running VMs

Post by HulkySulky »

HOST : VB 6.1.36 / Debian 11.4 / Gnome 3.38
GUEST : ANY (same behavior, whether Linux or Windows)

I have a laptop with 16GiB RAM, and 24GiB swap space. I just did some extensive tests, and noticed that hibernation doesn't work when :
  • VMs are running
    AND the host's RAM usage exceeds 50%
    AND most of the host's RAM usage is due to the VMs.
Luckily there's no crash, both host and guests keep working, it just doesn't hibernate

My tests (100% reproducible, I tried 3 times, always the same behavior) :

1°/ I tested without VMs, just to make sure hibernation works. Laptop's RAM at 80%, hibernates fine.
2°/ Start VM, host's RAM a little under 50%, hibernation works fine
3°/ Open some browser tabs in VM, in order to increase RAM usage, host's RAM around 60%, hibernation fails
4°/ Pause running VM to eliminate a possible interference because it's running, but same thing, hibernation fails.
5°/ Stop and start VM (in order to free host's RAM), back to scenario 2 (VM running, less than 50% RAM on host, hibernation works)
 Edit:  Another very interesting test :
6°/ Start VM, host's RAM a little under 50%, hibernation works fine
7°/ Open some browser tabs in host, host's RAM around 80%, hibernation works fine
 Edit:  Did the same tests with Windows guests, just to be sure. Same results.

So basically :
  • when a VM is running (even paused) and it uses a certain amount or RAM, the host doesn't hibernate even though its total RAM usage is only around 60%
    when a VM is running, but uses less RAM, the host does hibernate, even if the host itself uses a lot of RAM (80%)
So it's only the RAM used by the VM that causes problems with hibernation

Again, swap space is plenty (24GiB), and it's not a Gnome problem (hibernates fine even with 80% RAM consumption when no VM is running or VM is running with little RAM used).

Does anybody have a clue ?