USB printer on Win10 guest always shows offline

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kmand
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: winxp

USB printer on Win10 guest always shows offline

Post by kmand »

I run virtualbox on a Ubuntu host which has an attached USB Canon Printer. On the win10 guest I enable it in the machine USB drop down. It appears in the win10 printers devices but as offline. The printer is definitely up and printing from Linux is working.

What do I need to do to get it online in the win10 guest?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB printer on Win10 guest always shows offline

Post by mpack »

kmand wrote: What do I need to do to get it online in the win10 guest?
Did you install a printer driver in the Win10 guest? (*) Remote printers don't go through a translation step, so each PC needs its own driver.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

kmand wrote:I run virtualbox on a Ubuntu host which has an attached USB Canon Printer. On the win10 guest I enable it in the machine USB drop down.
That isn't how you share a printer. You enable the network sharing service on the host, then access the printer from Win10 over the network (host-only, or preferably bridged). You don't need to assign single (unshared) ownership to one VM just because it happens to be connected to a USB port on the host.
kmand
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: winxp

Post by kmand »

I would prefer to have the windows guest have direct control of this printer, because windows has various maintenance options (like deep cleaning of the ink nozzles) that linux doesn't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

kmand wrote:I would prefer to have the windows guest have direct control of this printer, because windows has various maintenance options (like deep cleaning of the ink nozzles) that linux doesn't.
It shouldn't matter what Linux has. Like I said, each OS get's its own driver, and that driver will have the same capabilities regardless of how the printer is connected.