Win7 guest, additions installed, can't find shared folders

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
johnea

Win7 guest, additions installed, can't find shared folders

Post by johnea »

Yes, the guest additions, not the extension pack, not inserting but not running guest additions. The guest additions are installed.

Although I do get some weird errors during guest additions installation, about "No signature found in subject". This was during the mouse driver inf installation, but the mouse integration seems to be working.

I finally got my Qt application running on the 3D acceleration, but shared folders are still not working.

When I try to manually add the shared folder in the guest, I get: The network path was not found

A log is attached. Even the simplest log was greater than the 128KB size limit, so I cut off the Statistics at the end and included those in a separate file.

I also tried entering the path to the share manually as: \\VBOXSVR\work

"work" is the name of the share set in the machine settings, prior to booting the VM guest.

I've read all the "install the guest additions" posts, and I have installed them several times, but I do wonder about the signature error.

Copy buffer sharing is working, EGL ES graphics is working, but shared folders are still not.

Thanks for any suggestions! And for all the efforts of the VirtualBox community!

johnea
2022-07-29
Attachments
statistics.log
(52.57 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VBox.log
(118.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win7 guest, additions installed, can't find shared folders

Post by mpack »

johnea wrote:A log is attached. Even the simplest log was greater than the 128KB size limit, so I cut off the Statistics at the end and included those in a separate file.
Most people zip the log.

Yes, the GAs are installed. I also see the shared folders service launching, and I see the share "work" being defined. I also see automount being enabled but no automount location has been defined.

Personally I would turn off auto-mount and just find the the shared folder manually, by finding the "VBOXSVR" network branch (in File Explorer) and digging down. You can then pin the folder to quick access.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Win7 guest, additions installed, can't find shared folders

Post by fth0 »

From the log messages, I can see that C:\Windows\System32\VBoxService.exe was not started, but C:\Windows\System32\VBoxTray.exe was. That's strange, I've only ever seen it the other way around in the past.

Please check if C:\Windows\System32\VBoxService.exe is installed and try to start it manually.

In general, I'd suggest to install the current VirtualBox 6.1.36.